Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 stock finish
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
Does anybody have a good pic of an original pre-64 finish? I want to refinish my 1952, perhaps to a factory look. I see a couple products advertising that result, Pilkingtons was one can't remember the other. I generally avoid stains, partly because I don't like them but also because I don't want to screw it up, thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a "mint condition" original 1949 pre-64 in 270 Win. Has only fired at total of 20 rounds. If you would like some close ups of the stock, I can take some digitals photos. Send me you email and I will be happy to oblige.

Barstooler.

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
That would be great, thanks, will do.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can duplicate the color of a pre-64 using Pilkington's or other modern finish, but it would be difficult to match the appearance. The original stocks were stained, filled and then finished with a sprayed laquer. A sanded-in modern finish will look good, but it won't be mistaken for the original factory finish.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote