Notify
Tools

A crying shame
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=188762142

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not sure what's worse, the butchery, or the fact that the seller thinks he can get $1900.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I just can't imagine anyone with the kind of money it take to acquire an action like that unmolested then cheep out on the scope bases.

If you're going to drill and tap an action like that at least do it some justice and use a mount of high end quality say at a minimum Talley. Or install claw mount or something. But damn to visit the sporting goods section of Big 5 and grab a $50 scope and a $20 mount What the hell are you thinking.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I just can't imagine anyone with the kind of money it take to acquire an action like that unmolested then cheep out on the scope bases.

If you're going to drill and tap an action like that at least do it some justice and use a mount of high end quality say at a minimum Talley. Or install claw mount or something. But damn to visit the sporting goods section of Big 5 and grab a $50 scope and a $20 mount What the hell are you thinking.

Plus, the guy who drilled the ring for the bases had a choice where to locate the holes and could have missed the lettering entirely, yet chose to drill thru the MAUSER part of the stamping. At least he didn't put it in the locking lug abutment.

Posts: 3708 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conversion was probably done back when these rifles were fairly cheap and A LOT more common on the open market, like in the period 1945-1965 from returning servicemen. Relatively few high-quality scope mounts were available at any sort of a reasonable price to most folks (remember no internet and no collector interest and no custom rifle interest as we know it today) and the local gunsmith was almost always a newly-discharged veteran who didn't know any better.

Times change, fashions change, sighting technology changes, fashions change, shooting needs change, fashion changes, disposable income changes and did I mention that fashion changes?

These days only a fool would alter that rifle but back then I bet all the guy's buds just couldn't WAIT to congratulate him on his new scope!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In May, 2006, after some 16 years of negotiations, I bought an Oberndorf Type B in 9.3x62 in roughly 80% original finish, slight glassing of action lug and pristine bore from a friend.

I had EAW pivot mounts professionally installed and, yes, that meant D&Ting the receiver. I have NO issues with doing so, this is a hunting rifle and I use it as such. If, it had been 95% or better, I would likely have kept it pristine, but, some people can be very "anal" about what they consider "appropriate" uses of what were designed and built as tools to kill game with.

I did not and would not do that to the bolt handle and I consider my rifle is "bettered" by the EAWs....Weavers, welllllll, no..........

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Joe
You're right. I need to think about the context of time.

Probably a very inexpensive rifle at the time and the thing to do would be get some optics on it.
Weavers being the most common at the time. Still not a waste of a good gun but man it hurts.

To be honest though I would only know a collectible mauser by it's price tag. and then I'd have to trust the guy selling it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle.The half octagonal barrel and full rib are not too loud-good proportions.Barrel contour seems to go perfect with the rest of the rifle.The rifle maker knew what he was doing.Mounts aside,I give this rifle a 10.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Wait...what?

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I would rather buy a CZ 550, a quality scope, and use the money left over for a hunting trip. Big Grin

Or better yet, use a cz that I already have, and use all the money on a hunting trip.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that stock pattern, it's one of my favorites, and love that barrel. I too would probably want it scoped. I won't fault the original person. so really, the price isn't too high considering the stuff there, particular the barrel with what appears to be an integral full length rib.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
But thats the other side of the coin. As soon as it was drilled and tapped the rifle was considered worthless and useless by many collector types and purists. Aside from it's pedigree it is still a very useful and good looking rifle.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
$1900.00???

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
stepchild 2: $1900.00???

Easily, if it didn't have the alterations to the receiver, bolt handle, stock, safety, rear sight.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It's not what it's worth... it's how much some one is willing to pay.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
It's not what it's worth... it's how much some one is willing to pay.

Exactly.
And this isn't the first one with alterations with an asking price in the $1900 neighborhood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of people forget when most guns were new they were just a working rifle, pistol , shot gun ect. The only thing the makes them valueable today is most of them were used some abuse.

If all the smith, colt, parkers ect were not used but put away to sell later they would be worth a lot less then the few today that are in good shape. Some day some one might say Oh how could some one do that to such a fine collectable rifle, pistol, shot gun ect.

I have modified many new firearms from factory to suit my needs glass bedding replacement stocks ect. No one would say a thing about doing that to a new 700 Ruger Win ect..

The same thing was said of those guns you are moaning about these days back when they were new.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:

but back then I bet all the guy's buds just couldn't WAIT to congratulate him on his new scope!
Regards, Joe

That is very true. In Australia in the 1960s M17s and M98s were seen as junk but better junk than the 303 SMLE. The reason we had M17s rebarreled as 270s and M98s as 243s because it was cheap and not that more expensive than doing a 303/25 pn th SMLE If we had the money we got a real 243 or 270.....a Sako.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, besides the proverbial "its worth what somebody will pay for it", what is it worth in the condition its in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
So, besides the proverbial "its worth what somebody will pay for it", what is it worth in the condition its in?

I'd guess $600-$700. It's basically a nice sporterized Mauser now.

Posts: 3708 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep collector value gone, now it's a used rifle.
$600 to $700 as Bob said

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The collectible value is gone however it could still be made into a very nice hunting rifle. If you wanted a custom rifle made on a real Mauser action in a classic style you can get a new Golmatic mauser action that will cost you 3-4,000 euro or even a Granite Mountain will still cost you several thousand USD. Then you can start pouring money into a barrel, stock, etc. This gun could be reverse engineered back into a very nice classic rifle for far less than starting from scratch. Get the bolt handle straightened, put the rear sight back together, a new 3 position safety and do something nice for a scope mount (claw or German pivot).
Would I pay $1900, probably not but I would give more than the $600-$700 number (that's almost used Winchester or CZ money and this is a far better gun than that).

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote