New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Action Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Browning Safari Grade in 30/06 with the FN Mauser action. Is this action big enough for a 375 H&H?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
with a good smith, yes...

it would be a better case to sell the browning, get a cz 550 and restock as required.

besides, the cz will hold more than a quarter box of shells
jeffe

Posts: 38569 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest Guntest Magazine trashed the CZ. They were testing one in .416 Rigby and had serious probles with the safety and feeding of the last round. IIRC, they opined the one they had in .375 H&H would probably have at least the same safety problem. They called it a, "Do not buy." I can't say if it's a quality control problem or just a case of a bad one slipping through.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
(just kidding here) and if they reviewed a remington and the bolt fell off, would they slam big green or just not run the article?

heh
jeffe

Posts: 38569 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by jeffeosso....
........and if they reviewed a remington and the bolt fell off, would they slam big green or just not run the article?

I certainly can't attest to the quality or voracity of their reviews, but Gun Tests magazine is purely subscriber-based....accepting no commercial advertising....so they don't have the "conflict of interest" that exists in other publications.

If a Remington 700 became two separate pieces when racking the bolt......they'd likely write it up as such.

GV

Gun-Tests

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, Gun Tests magazine shot a whole quiver of arrows at Winchester's M-70 .375 African a couple years ago as well. Serious flaws such as not feeding and ejecting properly. They really lamblasted the Winchester folks.could remember why I didn't renew my subscription.......but I didn't.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
As Jeffe said, a good gunsmith can open it up without much problem. Unlike Jeffe said, I definately would not trade down to the CZ, just have it opened up when you rebarrel, maybe a little feed work and you're in the big bore game. The commercial FN large ring actions are some of the best available in my completely unbiased opinion.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote