New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Auto 5 action spring tube question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm restoring a 1920's 'ish FN Auto 5 and the action spring tube had broken at the receiver extension. The broken portion is still inside the extension. Does anyone know if this is a press fit or a screwed in part? The broken end has striations that look like threads but they appear to just be grooves with no progression. I'm asking since I don't want to FUBAR this thing.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3722 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Auto-5 has not changed much over the years, not actually removing the tube myself I believe they are soldered into the receiver but I may be wrong

Check out this site and give them a call
http:

http:www.midwestgunworks.com...e/mgwi/prod/B1111335

http://www.thehighroad.org/arc...ex.php/t-436413.html

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It is threaded. There's a small set screw that holds it from turning. Should not be too difficult to find a mag tube. I'm pretty sure I have one here if you can't get one from Numrich or other part suppliers.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, but this is the action spring tube that houses the action spring at the rear of the receiver, not the magazine tube.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Oops! That's threaded too; very fine thread.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Numrich has the replacement tube but it is not threaded from the photo. Any suggestions as how to get the broken stub out? Maybe I should just soft solder the tube back in. I've got 1/4 in of surface left.

one of us
posted Hide Post
File thru the piece inside the action end with a small triangle file and then use a punch to start the part to roll to the middle of the hole. I had a tap made for chasing the threads, but you may not need to retap. Use a long nose pliers to reach inside to un screw the broken part. This same fix is used in the Brn 22 LR Auto rifle magazine tube repair.

Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assumed you where talking about the magazine tube, if you are taking about the action spring tube which is attached to the rear of the receiver and is hidden ed by the stock then this is screwed into the receiver, as I have one of those in my collection of A5 parts

to get it out I would soak it in penetrating oil. use a heat gun to cause the metal to expand then get a suitable easy out at your local hardware store and do the soak heat until it loosens

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It is the older threaded type. No replacements available. After talking to the parts houses, you have to buy the unthreaded one and thread it or drill out the channel and solder in the replacement. This is essentially what Browning did with later models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Arts Gun Shop
They might have one lying around

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, a Google search yielded 3-4 Arts Gun Shops. Do you know where they are located?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
E-Mail artisaacson@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Brad was probably referring to this one. Guy seems to really know his way around an A5. Because Browning has had HQ in St. Louis area for years, there seems to be several smiths in that area that can work on the A5. I was going to see if Art would work on my three digit 1903 A5, but I couldn't get an answer on the phone that week. Need to try again.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did all of Browning repairs at one time at Arnold, MO. Started life working for Browning, Browning decided it was cheaper to hire someone else to do repairs instead of them...

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I ended up silver soldering the broken end back in the hole. It seems to be rock solid. Now to tackle the butt stock split in three places! Time to breakout the Devcon 45 minute epoxy and the rubber gloves.