New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Welding Again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted a ? about water cooling bolts while welding on handles or forging a couple of days ago. I didn't get any don't do it replies, so I tried it. Goes like this: 1) Make or modify bolt heat sink with 5/16" hole through the middle. 2) Install heat sink, attach drain hose to the back of heat sink. 3) Cover front of bolt with a skinny bicycle inner tube, secure with small hose clamp just behind the guide rib, then attach garden hose shut off to the front end of the inner tube and connect garden hose to supply cold water. 4) Setup handle in jig, turn on water and weld it on.
The one I tested on and the for real one only had a little blue color around the bolt stub and I didn't have to reharden the cam.

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I will try that next time.

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that works the way it sounds like it should, I think you should spend a little time refining it, and either market it yourself, or sell it to someone like Midway... means you have to get a patent pending, though, I would think....
can't wait to try it out myself....

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote