New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obtaining a FFL?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a website featuring a Federal Firearms Licensing kit (FFL). http://www.fflkit.com/?hop=stilesoft

Does anyone know if this kit, or the people/person offering the Kit has any validity or credibility? Is this a viable means to start a gun business?

In an older site, the author used a few cuss words in the ad and guarantedd a "double satisfaction warranty". Just makes one question about the nature of the product.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FURocious:
I found a website featuring a Federal Firearms Licensing kit (FFL). http://www.fflkit.com/?hop=stilesoft

Does anyone know if this kit, or the people/person offering the Kit has any validity or credibility? Is this a viable means to start a gun business?

In an older site, the author used a few cuss words in the ad and guarantedd a "double satisfaction warranty". Just makes one question about the nature of the product.
I don't consider companies that sell these "kits" to be reputable. A simple call to the nearest BATFE office will get you a free application packet. Save your money for your first year licensing fees.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a pass and do as mentioned above.

Unless you are looking to open a retail shop you likely won't have much luck. The regs have gotten quite a bit more restrictive over recent years, and the old "kitchen table" dealers are becoming less common.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Do a search on the web and go to the BATF site and request an applilcation on line. It will show up in about a week. Follow the directions and fill it out. Easy.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious, If you are who I think you are, from central IL that I met at Guns-n-stuff, and if you are thinking about opening a shop in the area, give me a call, we may be able to work something out.

John Holliger
number is in the book

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you want the application for an FFL, I believe you'll have to call the National Licensing Center. I don't have that number, but I looked into getting a C&R FFL last year and was directed there.

It's rather expensive to get an 01 FFL these days. Last I heard, it was $300 for the first 3 years and then $90 for succeeding three years terms.

I could be wrong as I'm going by *what I was told,* but I guess it nevers hurts to find out.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
Last I heard, it was $300 for the first 3 years and then $90 for succeeding three years terms.
That's correct. You'll also need to plan on paying for whatever local business permits are required in order to be compliant.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John Holliger
number is in the book

Off Topic
John,
Just wanted to let you know that the upper you built for me is making my buddies cry Smiler.

On Topic

FURocious,
The ATF folks down in Springfield have always been pretty decent to deal with.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
FURocious, If you are who I think you are, from central IL that I met at Guns-n-stuff, and if you are thinking about opening a shop in the area, give me a call, we may be able to work something out.

John Holliger
number is in the book

Ye'up its me! John, this is in the preliminary stages. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

I researched the BATF website today and realized that I could indeed find everything I needed to know, well mostly everything, about dealing. Thanks for the replies and confirmation. What I love about these forums!

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I applied for my FFL in June, and recieved it in december. It is a long process that takes some legwork, AND, if you don't have a storefront and want to operate out of your home, good luck. The Atf here in Wisconsin will not allow you to get a permit unless you have, or are going to have, a viable business where profit is a motive. They will come and interview you, they will call your references and ask if you are on the up and up, they will call local law enforcement, whom you have to file a form with too, and get fingerprinted by. You will give up your right of them having to have a search warrant to search your property once a year, when ever they choose. I am not a full time dealer, I do it as a sideline of my service station business, but he came and checked to make sure that I did have a storefront. You will have some trouble with wholesalers as they do not like to sell to nonfull time dealers. They want a picture of your business, and a picture of the area where you display and sell guns. On the plus side, there are some hell of a deals on some rifles that are on closeout. Especially the wsm's and wssm's. Oh yea, the kit. I did buy one and found it very helpful. It saved me quite a bit of time in my opinion. When you are looking at 4 to 6 months turn around time, it pays to get it right the first time.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinIt Also helps for three or four to go together and share all the expenses. One will have the name and store front while all will go in on buying. Works well if you can find a few good people dedicated to do it. gunsmile

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote