Find
Notify
Tools

New follower for my '98??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.
I recently discovered a item in "the affordable gunsmithing" -catalog from Midway.
"Short -Magnum Mauser '98 follower"
It would make those belted magnums feed like butter, or somthing like that. [Wink]
It would work perfect with; 7mm RemMag, 300 WinMag, 338 WinMag, 416 Taylor, 458 WinMag.

My question is:
Is it worth the money, or do I have to get a good gunsmith to look at after all.
I have a 416 Taylor that dont feed good. I get 3 rounds in the magazine. The first one slides in to the chamber without any problem, but when I pull out the emty case and it svings out (when the bolts hitting the stop)(dont know the word for it [Razz] ), then the rim of the first one (on it's way out) toutches the belt on round 2 and it pops up. When I then pushes the bolt forward again, it will of course pick one from the magazine (round 3) [Eek!]
Does this (Midway)-follower solve this problem?

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
460Wthby---

No, the follower is only one of three important feeding parts of a M-98.

Your's sounds like an action rail problem.....and it sounds like the problem is that somebody cut away too much of the left rail AND in the wrong spot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rail is untoutched!!!
It looks like the cartridges dont rolls enought under the rail to me.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
460Wthby--

Feeding problems are best seen to analyze but I'm trying!!

If the top portion of the rails are untouched what about the underneath? If that's also untouched there's your problem.

Is your's a straight-rail or bowed-rail?

-

[ 12-08-2002, 04:02: Message edited by: JBelk ]