Find
Notify
Tools

Inleting a Win M70 stock for a Mauser 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
Guys, I have tried to finding this answer online, but so far have not had any success. I am hoping someone with more familiarity with these actions than me can help me.

If I buy an uninleted stock from say McMillan, is it possible for a competent gunsmith to inlet this for a Mauser 98 action?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think (I've inletted a 98 into a M70 wood for a pattern simply add epoxy) but why not simply get a 98 stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
McMillan stocks are made from fiberglass that is held together with epoxy resin, and the inside of the action area needs to be milled out with carbide milling cutters. As ram said, yes it can be done, with the right tools, but why?

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to have a stock that has the same "depth" as well as the correct tang area to give the proper relation of the trigger to the grip.
If these measurements are correct you can mill the action area for any action you want. But unless you bought the flattop for a considerable savings the cost will be more than if McMillan does the work. They will tell you what actions fit which stocks.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of these stocks are inlet with a CNC, not by hand or on a Bridgeport. Personally I won't put one of my chisels into one, so if you want one inlet for a Mauser you need to get the manufacturer to do it. The additional cost is near nothing compared to having someone do it by hand.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I totally understand the question...

The post title refers to a Model 70 stock, but then the post asks about an "uninleted" stock.

Which is it?

An uninletted stock can be inlet for whatever action you want. One that is already inlet for a model 70 might be adaptable...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Ok, so let me add some additional detail. What I am asking is:

Do the dimensions of a Mauser 98 action allow it fit into a stock that will accommodate a Win M70?

So for example if I wanted to buy a D'Arcy Echols Legend stock as an uninletted blank, but manually inlet it for a Mauser 98, is this even possible, or is there not going to be enough material in the stock for this to work?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Measure both actions. Give McMillion a call or email. They make the stock for Echols.

As I said I took a M70 featherweight stock and simply glassed a M98 action in place making a M98 featherweight pattern stock. My pattern has no extra glass top or bottom.

I don't have a M70 to measure nor would I guarantee the legend would behave the same way.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, a stock inletted for a model 70 is not uninletted.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Story time: at Fajen,Inc. we had CNC machines for inletting and carving production stocks. I created a Mauser 98 European style stock for production. CAD/CAM techs tried to make that pattern fit all bolt action makes currently in the USA. Result...when you got a semi-inletted stock to fit to a 98 action, the outside detailing of the side panels were WAY off and not usable because the pattern was 1/4" too deep. Moral, use the right make stock for the action. Much less headaches.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, I have actually done what you are inquiring about [amazing what one can accomplish if one does not know any better!] It was about 20 years ago. I wanted an MPI synthetic stock for my FN .243 Mauser actioned rifle. I asked MPI if they made a stock for a 98, they said they did. When I received the stock it had the inletting "roughed out" so almost any action would have fit in it. Thinking back I believe it was originally for a model 70.

So, I commenced to glass in my action to the cavity in the stock. I did it in stages, probably 5 separate operations. It turned out OK, but it was an awful lot of work.

Posts: 116 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote