Find
Notify
Tools

G 33/40 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

As a LH shooter I am not totally up to snuff on all of the lovely Mauser actions out there. But, I visited a gun shop today and there on the shelf was a G 33/40 action chambered in 8 mm. Price for all was $275.00.

First, is this a desirable action upon which to base a rifle?

Second, is the price in the range (yes, I know, no pics, etc. but bear with me).

Third, my wife has indicated an interest in going hunting with me ("If I don't have to get up early, I'm in," was the quote I believe. Sounds like an afternoon session kinda girl). What sorts of calibers can be done on one? 8 MM, 9.3 x 62? Good ladies calibers.

Alternatively, we are expecting a daughter this summer and well, I suppose it's never too soon...

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$275 for a g.33/40 action in good condition is a steal! even if you are left handed, buy it, sell it for a good profit, and buy your left left handed action with the proceeds.

the g.33/40 action has been used for many calibers such as 30-06, .270, .280, etc., but it also shines as a great action for a 7 x 57, which makes a very fine ladies gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That price is about 1/3 of its true worth, so I suggest you immediately go down there and pay the nice man however he wants! Second, I suggest a 7x57 or a 6,5x55 for a true all-around rifle for anything in the lower 48. A truly fortunate find!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
If it's not pitted up or bunked up by "bubba", RUN back and buy it!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very desirable action if in good shape. small ring/large thread suitable for most anything built on a 57mm. mauser case and/or medium pressure round built on a .30-06 case. action has some lightening cuts on reciever siderails and smaller front ring makes a sleeker, slightly lighter gun than a std. m98 like a 1909 argentine..... considered the ideal action to build a lady's gun on. i have one in 7x57 (which i highly recomend for wife). with a light barrel and a slim stock it's just under 8lbs w/scope and full mag. i also built it for my wife but it has actually become my favorite gun to use as well and whenever she isn't hunting with me, it's in my hands. 7x57 is fully capable of any north american game at respectable ranges with a good shot and the right bullet, except maybe big bears... too many teeth!.... and it (7x57) won't rattle your teeth. the 8x57 is about like a 30-06 for recoil, so some women/young-uns don't like it. my daughter shot a 7x57 as a 13 yr. old new hunter and it never bothered her in the least.
price is right, you can pay that for just an action. in your case the barrel, for what it's worth is a free-bee.... if it's good,.... it's worth a couple bucks, but not much. i'm sure it's twist will be in the 8-9 inch range, good for the heavier 8mm. bullets (just what you don't want for your wife), so you should probably plan on a re-barrel, but the action will make a superb lady's rifle in a light caliber like 7x57, 257 roberts, 7-08, .243win./6mm. rem., did i mention 7x57?!

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i gotta learn how to type faster!!!

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, men. Guess I'll be going back. What is usually done to one of these?

For the record, what is such an action worth cleaned up?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My G33/40 and all I've seen were small ring/small thread.

Posts: 33 | Location: western oklahoma | Registered: 11 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tls,
my mistake, i was going from memory of about 20 yrs ago when it was built.... it is small/small,... just like my brain!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Thanks, men. Guess I'll be going back. What is usually done to one of these?

For the record, what is such an action worth cleaned up?

What do you mean by "cleaned up"?

If everything is in original condition and all the numbers match and the wood is also in good condition, then its probably worth more as a collector item. Maybe over $1000.

If the wood is in tough shape or missing, but everything else is there and matching, and there is no rust or pits, I have a feeling that you could easily get $750 for it.

If it has rust or pits, or the numbers don't match, then considerably less.

If you decide to keep it and make a rifle out of it, it deserves to be treated with respect.
1. New bolt handle
2. New bottom metal
3. New trigger
4. Custom scope mounts
5. New barrel
6. Polish
7. Light engraving.
8. Nice English Walnut
9. New Safety

May I suggest you do a search for the Searcy Memorial Rifle Thread here on AR and review the photographs on that thread. YOu will see what can be done with a g.33/40 action.

Here is a preview

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By cleaned up I am thinking about wht is being done to my own CZ at the moment; make sure all of the metal is true, repolished and fixed if anything needs fixing.

I'm going back. Thanks. That is one beautifully executed rifle. I'll use your guidelines.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so, here is what I found out:

original 20" barrel
non-oringinal floorplate
original trigger
matching serial numbers
no pitting, no rust

I have put a deposit on it and will buy on Monday. I'd like to gt some photos up online so someone can give me a better idea of what I have got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what can be done to it is almost endless. most of us are hard pressed to spend the money thrown at a gun of the stature shown above. more conservatively important factors are squareing up the reciever and lapping the lugs, obviously a new barrel, drill and tap for scope bases, a new bolt handle, trigger, safety and maybe a stronger pin spring to speed the lock time a bit. new bottom metal is nice, but not absolutely needed and has no influence on the gun's function. a decent push button type floorplate release can be done for little money and it will work perfectly fine. the above mentioned basic upgrades, a little recontouring of the trigger guard,and a good blue job will turn that G33/40 into one heck of a nice hunting rifle. these minimal essentials will still cost a pretty penny as is, but well worth the price if done by a decent 'smith. wood, it's grade or a plastic stock is of course your choice. i prefer wood.
i 've done/had done these things to a my G33/40 and several other mausers and consider them as good or better as any store bought rifle around. they also have more character and sentimental value to me than the other guns i just bought.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a friend take a few rudimentray pics for me. Could someone let me frward them and then post them? The new developments are a Buehler safety has been added and the prior owner put some crap bottom floorplate on it. Also, a Lyman isladrear and a Lyman ramp sight as well as having a stock built for it with a LOP of 12 inches.

Please PM me your email and I"ll get it to you tonight. Thinking I want to sell it at this point.

Thanks,

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So long as the receiver and bolt are matching and in good shape, I would not be concerned about the barrel, stock, bottom metal, trigger, etc. Just the receiver and bolt in good shape are worth more than the asking price. Now if someone has been drilling holes in the action for sights, bases, etc., that is a different story.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please be advised that I've seen at least one faker of G33/40s at the Birmingham gun show. He had several large ring rifles with the proper logo on the left rail, but the clip slots were still full size. I did not enlighten him.
Caveat Emptor, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I appreciate the warning to all members. I will forward the photos I have to one of the members who has offerd to post them. If they are not good enough quality for someone to make an informed decision then I will get some more done somehow.

Frankly, I'd really love to keep the action and have a nice rifle made up, but as previously mentioned I am in the middle of having a CZ worked on and would rather drive my energy there.

Hell, before the other day I'd never even seen one of these actions in person. I'm sure the folks in the know on this site will be able to confirm the veractiy of the action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

I have a neighbor who has offered to photo the rifle tomorrow and I will forwrad the pics to the member I communicated with earlier.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents:

Another member has been kind enough to inspect the photos I sent and he offered up these issues:

1. It appears to him a new bolt handle has been, in fact, put on.
2. He tells me it appears the action has been drilled and tapped
3.rear bridge has been surface ground/charger hump removed
4. action has been buffed on a wheel
5. wooden stock has not been removed so I haven't seen it.

As previously mentioned, I am unfamiliar with these actions but greatly appreciate the input from this member. I have offered it to him for $550 and will honor his first refusal. I would certainly offer him or anyone else the right to inspect the action before a deal is finalized. If he does not accept my offer I will make it available to any member at the same price under the same conditions. Hopefully, pics will go up soon or I will simply ask this other gentleman to put them up for me.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok

As long as you are offering an inspection, I will take second dibs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
noted 22WRF. I want whomever gets it to be satisfied with the transaction.