Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawk problem.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt that's been acting up lately. I've had the gun for years without any problems until now. Here's the problem: When shooting, as I pull the hammer back, it wants to stop halfway back and can't be pulled back any farther. If you let the hammer down and manually realign the cylinder, the hammer cocks normally for that shot. The strange thing is, if I repeatedly cock and let the hammer down without shooting, it seems to function normally. Anybody see this before?

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My only thought is there may be a build up of residue on the cylinder face and/or the back of the barrel. Could also be caused by bullets that make fully seating the cases dificult, and the rims are hanging up.

I don't know if there are any good s/a smiths in Sacramento, but I thought Jack Huntington was up around Grass Valley, and he definately knows Ruger revolvers, and has been real helpful whenever I've contacted him.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
savageshooter--

UNLOADED, hold the gun up so you can see the cylinder stop where it engages the cylinder. It sounds like it is out of time.

The other thing is the plunger in the back of the base pin. This plunger holds the trigger transfer bar outward. If the plunger is not there, or stuck, the transfer bar will hit the bottom of the firing pin and hang up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check it out.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote