New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of restocking my Win. Mod. 70, 30-06 and like the Lone Wolf stocks, particularly the 16 oz. Summit model. I restocked another rifle with this stock about 10 years ago for under $500. Since then, Lone Wolf has been acquired by Proof Research. They quoted me a price for bedding my barreled action in this stock of $1,500 which is too high for me. Any recommendations for a lightweight stock? Thanks.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
McMillan for your price range of 500ish

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second what Duane said. I bought a bunch of Bell and Carlson Mauser Stocks from a retiring gunsmith a few months ago. Thought about using one to make myself a lightweight rifle. On a whim, I took apart my .338-06 with cherry wood stock to see how much weight would drop with the B&C stock instead. The cherry wood stock on it, with steel buttplate and pistol grip cap and cross bolts, weighed 2 ounces less than the B&C Carbelite stock!

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one Brown Precision "Pounder" on a Pre-64 M70. 16-ounce stock. You might see if they are still in business.

B&C Medalist stocks (graphite, Kevlar, fiberglass composites with full aluminum bedding block and endo skeleton)
weigh about 2.5 pounds, about same as good walnut, not as heavy as the old Carbelite stocks by B&C.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown Precision is still in business.

http://brownprecision.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Tech/Baneser and MPI stocks are other good choices for light weight stocks besides McMillan. MPI advertises a Microlite stock as light as 4 ounces, but probably wouldn't work for the 06. Both of those stocks will cost quite a bit or time to finish compared to the McMillan stock. The Edge fill stocks from McMillan will cost closer to $700 these days.

I have three Edge stocked M70 rifles that range from 7 lbs 1 oz to 8 lbs 9 oz all up. My lightest one is a .30-06 FWT in a Hunters Edge stock with blind magazine. My heaviest is a .338-06 #3 Shilen contour barrel 24" long two piece bottom metal. Both rifles have 2.5-8X36 Leupold in Talley mounts. My other rifle is a .270 Win EW in a Winchester FWT Edge fill stock and Leupold 3.5-10X40 CDS and Talley mounts and weighs 7 lbs 13 oz all up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the input. I didn't want wood....wanted to stay with synthetic. I decided on an MPI classic style with some extra attention to keeping the weight down. I have several rifles with MPI stocks and have been pleased with the quality and durability.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote