New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to learn about bolt actions?
 Login/Join

<quickdraw>
posted
I'd like to know a bit more about bolt actions. OK a lot more. I want to understand the nuts and bolts of building a rifle. Not to do it professionally, but maybe just to build rifles for myself or at the least just to know what I'd pay someone to do.

I guess the best way to learn would be to build one myself using inexpensive stuff. Would it be pretty feasible for me to buy a K98, get some AGI video tapes, a few parts from Midway or Brownell's and do a decent job building a rifle?

(I know I might need it professionally headspaced since they chamber barrels short, but I could handle paying for that.)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Best,
QD

[ 09-02-2002, 23:44: Message edited by: quickdraw ]

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Quickdraw,

Frank de Haas' book Bolt Action Rifles is a source I use frequently to answer questions about this or that bolt action rifle.

It would be a lot cheaper to start with it than to build a rifle. [Wink]

It is out of print, but amazon.com has used copies starting at $12.50.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Another excellent book is "The Bolt Action" by Stuart Otteson, printed by Winchester press. ISBN # 0-87691-175-0. I highly recomend it.
 -

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Doug,

This from Amazon.com:

1. The bolt action : a design analysis
by Stuart Otteson
Out of Print--Limited Availability
Editions: Paperback |

From our Marketplace Sellers
See all used: from $50.00

2. Bolt Action
by Stuart Otteson, Ken Warner (Editor)
Out of Print--Limited Availability
Editions: Hardcover | more...

Which do you recommend? #1 or #2, or both?

thanks...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Both, I feel that they are an absolute necessity
to anyone who really wants to learn the workings of the various bolt action systems. The first one covers: Mauser 98, Springfield 03, Arisaka, M30 Endfield, Win M54, Win M70 (pre & post 64), Rem M720 & the M700 family, Weatherby, Sako, Mosberg 800 & 810, Rem 788. The second book covers the rest.

[ 09-03-2002, 17:59: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Book #2 above showed up (ordered from a used book dealer), and it is indeed excellent.

jim dodd