Find
Notify
Tools

You Like?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted
Well, some pictures of my last own-made "at home" development (Remember that Im not gunsmith !!! Smiler)But Im really open to critics and suggestions thumb. This gun just killed 3 female wildboars. My intention was to make a nice rifle but no for showing.
It has some many scratches.Now belong to my older son.
A 300 Winch. Mag. Mauser Stutzen.

I started from an old DWM k98 receiver from Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909 infantery rifle,

It has a Musgrave (SouthAfrican Octogonal Barrel) Old Warnes detachable mounts, LPA front and folding sight, double trigger set (Old Brno) Dakota 3 positions safety, butter knife bolt handle (home made), ammo carrier (homemade) and walnut bavarian style stock by JLM.

I made all the engraving for first and last time !!!

Now Im working on custom a Tikka Varmint
What next ? I dont know, maybe a SxS Double Express or a detachable DGR english b.a. rifle style in 375 H&H. Regards. Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Guillermo:

Beautiful work all the way around. I'm not much of a fan of the butterknife bolt handle but I love the full Mannlicher stock, the octagon barrel, and especially the cartridge well under the stock and the scalloped cheek rest.

Gives me ideas. Nice work.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Guillermo

I like it . I've always liked that style rifle. You gave me an idea with that bolt handle.

Rich

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Guillermo. Carajo! You are truly a firearms genius. clap What a beautiful rifle. If you are not a gunsmith then I fail to know who is....everything about this rifle is wonderful, from the action and barrel to the stock with its buttstock compartment for the 3 extra cartridges. I like the set triggers and the bolt handle. Also one of my favorite cartridges. Has Juan seen this one yet? Watch he does not take it home..... animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow--Very Nice. How long is the barrel? I bet the muzzle blast cooks the pigs on the spot, right?

Now about a 2" longer barrel in 8x57 would be the cats meow. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
good work...

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GA

That is a nice looking rifle.

I like rifles with full length stocks.

On the butterknife bolt handle...

If you use the "European Pinch" technique [and I do] the butterknife bolt handle works real good, as long as the edges are not sharp.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Muy guapo

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice work. Perhaps you should consider a career in gunsmithing??

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet rifle. Nice and traditional,as well as the function factor.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not fond of caliber but I think you did an outstanding piece of work.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has some many scratches.

quote:
Nice and traditional,as well as the function factor.

that's all of it- a quality working rifle. lots of character.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Errol Lambrechts
posted Hide Post
Hi Guillermo,

I think that you should stop farming and get into gun-making.

Regards,

Errol Lambrechts
Zingela Safaris
www.zingelasafaris.com

Posts: 13 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I tried for short time.... in my free times....but most of my "Clients" have a "porcupine" in his pocket Frowner, they want her rifle rigth now !!! Madall the weeks f... at the phone Roll Eyes!!! and at the end wants to pay the same money like masive production gun moon, but in quotas shocker.
Thanks every body for your kind words, I like very much, that all of you, apreciatte my modest work!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but most of my "Clients" have a "porcupine" in his pocket

LMAO!!

-most of mine have glue Big Grin

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful just beautiful!!!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,

Beautiful Rifle.
You can build one for me in 7x57 any time. And, I have no porcupine in my pocket.. clap Big Grin
You do good work!!!
I like the full stock rifles, plus the butterknife bolt handle. I have a butterknife handle on a custom 250 Savage that I like, mucho...

Don

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The workmanship is nice. I don't care for the grip on the stock though. All in all a very neat rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote