Find
Notify
Tools

Re: craigster (3864) is ScottS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of scw
posted
Mauser, maybe I just don't understand all of the dynamics here, but I've seen this post from you in a few places. Do you need a hobby?? I haven't seen anything offensive, other than you jumping around like a mad woman on a pogo stick.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I have now found the article in which it was reported that Raechel Wells uses Easy Off over cleaner to remove the old finsish. The article was written by Ron Swartley and is in the June 1988 issue of GUNS magazine.

" The Wells method involves the use of standard Easy Off oven cleaner, in a method she pioneered herself. She'll set teh stock over newspapers, and with rubber gloves to protect her hands, spray the over cleaner all over the stock, the finish lifting off just as with varnish remover. Hot water is used to wash away the old finish. The big difference with Easy off, according to Wells, is that it gets all the soaked in oil out of the old stock. Oil soaked stocks have been a problem with gun owners, and Easy off provides a sure fire solution."

Blue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fish eyes are probably from oil or silicone still in the wood. Automotive paint stores sell an additive called fish eye remover that combats this problem in auto finishes. A drop or two (or whatever) in your finish may solve your problem. I have only had this problem once and it worked for me.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta stock I am refinishing for a customer. I sanded down the finish, thought it was all off, but the new finish fish-eyed when it was applied. I haven't had this problem before, but I am assuming the old finish was an oil finish and was still in the wood.

Could someone advise me as to what I should do to eliminate the fish-eye problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Posts: 47 | Location: Hurricane, UT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote