Find
Notify
Tools

Extended ring-mount for CZ 550 safari magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting extended scope ring-mounts for the CZ 550 safari magnum?

I will need to reverse the front ring on a CZ 550 in order to reduce the scope ring span 1/2". or else have a forward extension on the rear ring. I need to mount a scope with 4.76" mounting space but the CZ 550 SafariMagnum ring span seems to be 5.1" to 5.2".

Your help is appreciated.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The scope is a Nikon Omega 1.65-5 power with 5" eye-relief throughout the power range. The problem for the CZ 550 is that this little Nikon scope only has 4.76" of useable tubespace for mounting, but the default CZ bridge want 5.1"-5.2" of ring distance.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno (CZ) manufacture(d) a one piece see through bridge mount where the front ring was a good 1 inch back from the receiver. It was a bit high and bulky but obviously intended for the sort of application you had in mind.

Don't think it ever sold outside of Europe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with that scope on a bolt action slug gun. The tubes on them are just too short. I think they were designed for guns with one piece Weaver mounts that have a lot of flexibility in ring spacing; think H&R sluggers or cantilevers on pump/auto shotguns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is for the Slughunter model I had. Obviously, the Omega is designed for MLs but I haven't ever seen a ML that has much in the way of ring spacing either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ makes/sells an adapter which will give you a Weaver mount rail. While not the most attractive option, it would certainly give you the spacing you are looking for.

On both my 416R and 375H&H 550's, I'm using the Burris FFII 2-7x32. While not top of the line glass, they are economical, fit the rifles very well, and have held up to the recoil (so far).

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
CZ makes/sells an adapter which will give you a Weaver mount rail. While not the most attractive option, it would certainly give you the spacing you are looking for.

On both my 416R and 375H&H 550's, I'm using the Burriss FFII 2-7x32. While not top of the line glass, they are economical, fit the rifles very well, and have held up to the recoil (so far).

thanks.

It looks like the CZ adapter for Weaver is the single option.

As for little scopes, I already have a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch on our Rigbys with 4.0" to 3.8" eye-relief that is absolutely excellent. So far it has not cut an eye-brow, even with 350 grain loads at 2800+ fps. HOWEVER, I want to put the 1.65-5x36 Nikon on one rifle because it has 5.0"-5.0" eye-relief. That is a delightful luxury and it still has plenty of field of view and is very fast at target acquisition at low power.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies.... I just looked at their web site and it indicates that the adapter is not for use with the safari magnum models.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
My apologies.... I just looked at their web site and it indicates that the adapter is not for use with the safari magnum models.

Actually, they do, part numbers 19011 and 19018.
It is a '1 piece rail bridge', $100.

Unfortunately, they don't provide exact measurements or tell which rings are available that would keep the overall scope height to reasonable dimensions, e.g. scope sight line 1.5" above bore line.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the CZ conversion rail. It adds .60" to the height.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jawheeler:
Here is a pic of the CZ conversion rail. It adds .60" to the height.

that looks like #19011.

what millemeter dovetail does it sit on?
what is the distance from the flat height to the old flat height? It is that distance that I need in order to find rings that will be appropriate, or if there are rings that would be appropriate. 0.60" sounds like the total height and not the increase in height. I am looking for a total height (mount + ring up to scope bottom) that would be .5"

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,
Maybe, you could find what you are looking for here:
http://www.kozap.cz/katalog/19/mont-e/

Lefteris
www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefteris Vassiliadis:
416Tanzan,
Maybe, you could find what you are looking for here:
http://www.kozap.cz/katalog/19/mont-e/

Lefteris
www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com

Thanks, one of those looks perfect. Let's see if they can ship to Africa.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting "adapter", and something I need to look into.
My problem is that the CZ rings are not TALL enough (I need a .030 shim just to clear the barrel by .005) with the combo I'm using, and nobody seems to make any taller for the CZ.

FWIW I'm using a 30" #8 Lilja barrel and Burris 50mm scope. Right now I'm leaning toward dovetailing the top portion a set of Burris insert rings onto the lower portion of the CZ one to both gain height and provide the 20MOA pitch I want.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
FWIW
After I get a project out of the way for Butch I'll be working on a set of rings for a customer that has this same issue. CZ rings that are too short. Be patient good parts too come soon.
BTW it would not be a difficult task to make these extended or retracted to accommodate different scopes

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update on my above post, with photo's.
I got a great price on a used Nightforce 12-42x, so the Burris optics went away.

Detail of mount/rings

Overview of rifle

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote