Find
Notify
Tools

Island vs Banded Front Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I have a rifle that currently sports an NECG Universal island front sight (secured with a screw and some Black Max). Is there any advantage, aside from aesthetical preferences, to swap it for a banded front sight? Would it be stronger/less likely to be knocked off since the band encapsulates the entire circumference of the barrel?

I'm throwing ideas around in my head, just curious to hear some other opinions.

Thanks.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I have a rifle that currently sports an NECG Universal island front sight (secured with a screw and some Black Max). Is there any advantage, aside from aesthetical preferences, to swap it for a banded front sight? Would it be stronger/less likely to be knocked off since the band encapsulates the entire circumference of the barrel?

I'm throwing ideas around in my head, just curious to hear some other opinions.

Thanks.

Think character and the safari rifle look. Below ramp silver soldered on then a nice matte blueing job. Mucho stronger than the epoxy method. Some solders will not withstand a hot caustic blue, hence the silver solder.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill 2 birds with one stome - so to speak. Why no switch over to the NECG Universal banded front sight? Gives the aesthetics and ruggedness AND allows you to reuse the front bead.

Just my $.02.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Depends on the look of the rifle you are trying to get.
Banded hooded has no place on a Remington in my book. Custom mauser, Winchester classic action, or a pre 64 sure.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote