New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser drill fixture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a fixture to drill and tap scope bases on a Mauser action that they would like to sell? I have seen them online, but it looks like they have been discountinued.

Thank you, Tony

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...1-drill-and-6-48-tap

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
May be overkill.

http://www.forsterproducts.com...id=24833&catid=19938

I have seen that one, it is overkill for what I need. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tony
You have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They come up on ebay from time to time.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Midway doesn't carry them any longer?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have that version. I have the Williams parallel style. I am not selling it, but if you drive to Potter County you can use it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sun Optics imports one.

Here is the link, don't know who retails them, though. I got one off of Ebay, and it is quite good for the occasional job. I believe that I paid $40 for it.

http://www.sunopticsusa.com/PDF/SunTools.pdf

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you hoping to drill and tap on a drill press or? A drill press is the only reason I can see using one.

Just curious, I was never impressed with those fixtures myself.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I Have one you can rent or borrow that I made, but mine is for two piece bases

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found one. Thanks for all of the offers to help.

Thank you, Tony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Are you hoping to drill and tap on a drill press or? A drill press is the only reason I can see using one.

Just curious, I was never impressed with those fixtures myself.

I dont have a mill, so having a fixture like this will allow me to properly align the holes to be drilled. I have never seen or used this fixture before so I cant say if I will be impressed with it or not. Cant see any reason for it not to do the job that it was intended for?

Good luck, Tony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only used one and have looked at a few. The one I used (multiple times) still allowed the drill to wander with the drill bushing. Positioning the work piece then putting in a long center drill may help?

I was curious about the drill press as that is the only situation I see having one. I did not want to assume, hence asking. They do work, and it may have been the one I used was a piece of junk or worn out. Others may have had good luck with them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The only reason I made one was back when I didn't have a mill yet. I'll never use my fixtures again but I'll never sell them either.

I also made on e of these

That was back when I had more time then money. Never did use it. I got a mill quickly after it was finished. But i'll never sell it either.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a tip for some of those that don't have a mill to do the work.

Before I had my mill, i would take a one or two piece base and super-glue it to the action using my dial caliper to assure that the base was parallel to the flat on the bottom of the action. Use the base as a guide for the drill; body size drill to just spot the hole then the #31 for the tap. Same procedure for front and back holes but make sure the bases are parallel to the action axis.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote