New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver Type Scopr basees
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need a .500" high weaver scope base, what number would that be? If there is one?

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what gun? You might be stuck with having to purchase the base material and machine it yourself.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm.
I have a Win. low wall with Leupold bases. The front base is the cam-in type very difficult to remove. The back is opposing screws. You cant twist the ring out without bending the scope. I made a wrench to slip under the scope. I hate that mount, I like to get something to slide off like the Burris Z-rings or something simular.

I have a Weaver rear base that fits on the action. A .500" front base would need a little fiting and new screwe holes.

There is a blank Weaver base at .650 at Brownell lots of milling. Some of the Grand Slam bases look pretty high.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find the base you want rings are made in various heights.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would contact the technical department at Brownells, or, Weaver directly at 1-800-635-7656 and ask them which grand slam base would fit and how high it is. I always keep stock material on hand just for such an occasion. Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
Malm.
I have a Win. low wall with Leupold bases. The front base is the cam-in type very difficult to remove. The back is opposing screws. You cant twist the ring out without bending the scope. I made a wrench to slip under the scope. I hate that mount, I like to get something to slide off like the Burris Z-rings or something simular.

I have a Weaver rear base that fits on the action. A .500" front base would need a little fiting and new screwe holes.

There is a blank Weaver base at .650 at Brownell lots of milling. Some of the Grand Slam bases look pretty high.

Leupold dovetail rings are meant to be installed in the base before you mount the scope. If they are loose enough to turn out without bending the scope, they aren't a good fit. Weaver bases come in various contours so it will be hit or miss to find one unless they have a set specificly for your action. You can always trim blank stock or a oversized base down with a flycutter reletively fast though.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of you. Perhaps Brownell has someting that will be big enough for fitting.

Or else I make one from the solid rail.

The oposing screws are no good either because they also bent the scope if you use them for a lot of windage adjust ments. Wonderiung how many people bent their scopes with these moumts.

It was the only set of mounts I could find for this rifle. Whished I never saw them.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say, "nobody" but I'd have been wrong....

what you are supposed to do is to install the front ring and work it back and forth a few times to "settle" the rings and base together.

then install the rear ring, and THEN install the scope.

I usually use a 16" piece of 1" diameter round stock to"work in" and align the rings before scope installation...

your problem with the leupold style base I must sadly file under "operator malfunction".

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan DeGroot.
You can file it under whatever category you want, but I have done it exactly as you describe it.

The front ring is still tighter then the hubs of hell. I even applied STP and moly paste.
If I crank them any more back and forth they will be loose.

You can have them real cheap, how about 1/2 price, since you know how to install them and I don't.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are Redfield jr. style,Leupolds are only copies.Too loose,too tight,windages screws getting loose.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote