New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican bottom metal needed!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any body have bottom metal for my double square bridge that David Christman is building for me? I understand that Blackburn will not have any for a good while.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you can't find Blackburn you can use 96 Swede which is decent.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Swede bottom metal. I really think on this nice of rifle, I would not want to go cheap and clunky. Not saying the Swede is, but I will run this by David Christman. David just got the receiver back from being recased. He is giving it to Mark Stratton at the Guild Show to fit the half round-half octagun barrel. Does anybody have pics of iron sights on a lightweight octagun barrel? Doesn't look like much room for a front sight.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here is a 300 H&H that is in the works for me.

In this picture it looks crooked put I am sure it is not. Atleast it had better not be!!

Front sight.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly are you looking for. Are you saying you don't have any bottom metal at all for the mexican and you are looking for bottom metal that comes with a mexican action, or are you looking for something else custom, or are you looking for one to borrow so that you can use it to compare in customizing something else.

I have a bottom metal for a small ring mexican if you just want to look at it to try and make something else. I would probably sell it too, but not for cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for custom bottom metal. With a lot of work the 98 custom bottom metal can be made to work. Who makes it other than Blackburn?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, I tried for a year to find one, Blackburn said the same thing a year ago. i sent my action to Stu and he had a old military, hinged one he is going to rework for me. If you are interested in my old military (non-hinged) let me know.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch-
I just sent you a long email, but I am on a new internet service after the move, so I am not 100% sure it went through. If not, you can reach me mstokeld@hotmail.com

ANyway, I have lots of Mexican bottom metals, so let me know if you or David need one. I have cut up several just playing around with different ideas-never considered them worth too much.

Personally, if it were me I would buy a Blackburn for a regular M98 and cut it down. Less work then redoing a military and would look better to my eyes. Don't know what Dave would charge, so you would have to ask him.

I offered to let him use my Blackburn Mexican metal a year ago, with the idea that he would give me his when the order was finally filled. Well, the Mexican has popped up next in my rotation and I am very glad he did not take me up on the offer!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows, David said he could redo a 98 and that may be what he has to do. He said he would nose around at the Guild Show and see what he can find. Marc, I received your email and thanks very much for your offer. Thanks to thismortalcoil also for the offer.
Butch

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Will 1909 work on a Mex? There are a couple on Ebay that aren't out of sight on price yet.

Auction 1

Auction 2

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Another option might be Mark X bottom metal with inside bow release, shorten, fit Wisner Argentine straddle floorplate.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Will 1909 work on a Mex? There are a couple on Ebay that aren't out of sight on price yet.

Auction 1

Auction 2

Uraguay?? bewildered thumbdown

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1909 will work with modification. The angle tht the box sits at has to be changed just a little bit, and the front has to be cut and rewelded to make it fit because its much too long.

By the way, an absolute genius in modifying magazine boxes is Jim Dubell. I don't know if he does it individually or only on his whole custom jobs, but he can take a common springfield or mauser triggerguard and do wonders to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

I have a new Blackburn, #10, Stage 1, Trigger Guard Floorplate assembly for the Mexican.
If you can not find another one let me know.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have given me or should I say David several options. David and Jim Dubell used to be partners as you probably know. They are still close friends and visit weekly by phone. James has what I want and he is very kind to offer his to me. James, I know that it will be a long time before Blackburn would have a replacement for you. If your email is good on your profile, I will email you in a bit.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, you are correct. That would have ended up being my bottom metal. I'm just afraid that could happen to James if I took his.
Butch