One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
what is the standard grove and bore diam and twist for a 404 barrels
Daniel

My A-Square Manual list groove diameter at .423", Bore Diameter .412, and twist at 16.54 RH.

I have one currently being built with a 14 twist Krieger barrel.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJS, I just ordered from Krieger as well, but their groove is .424, I wasn't worried about that though, what do you think?

by the way, they list 1:16 twist, so I said go with that, but I see you got 1:14, can I ask why? they didn't know when I was on the phone with them if they had tooling to do 1:14 in the 404 but they must if you're getting one. I told them I might call to amend my order if 1:14 was better for some reason.

if it makes a difference, I'll shoot the 400's for cheap but for real work will probably use the lighter 380 northforks. I know original twist rate for 404 and 416 rigby was 1:16.5

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
JJS, I just ordered from Krieger as well, but their groove is .424, I wasn't worried about that though, what do you think?

by the way, they list 1:16 twist, so I said go with that, but I see you got 1:14, can I ask why? they didn't know when I was on the phone with them if they had tooling to do 1:14 in the 404 but they must if you're getting one. I told them I might call to amend my order if 1:14 was better for some reason.

if it makes a difference, I'll shoot the 400's for cheap but for real work will probably use the lighter 380 northforks. I know original twist rate for 404 and 416 rigby was 1:16.5

Red

Hi Red,

Ralph Martini is building the rifle and we discussed the options on twist rate, Ralph seemed to think 14 twist would work out a bit better...that along with what I have read on AR was good enough for me.

Ralph also ordered the barrel @ .423 not .424 as that is the spec.

I am hoping my rifle will be complete by end of July or first of August. I sent Ralph up some dummy loads with North Fork SP and Cup Points and some 400 grain Barnes TSXs.

Who is doing your gunsmith work? what are you working with/towards ie action, wood, barrel, etc...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm calling them tomorrow then. I'm really glad this came up.

If you look under the custom rifles thread you can see my action and blank. It's a springfield action and a nice piece of french walnut. 404-375, a 375 case necked up, shortened and with the .423 bullet. in looks if it would work out I'd like for it to be styled stock wise like the old Mauser Model A's, the british stocks with thin, shorter forends.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote