New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Stripping Info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Browning BLR stock that I want to refinish, it has the thick poly coating. I'm looking for recommendations on how to strip that poly finsh.

Thanks--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local BORG and find Kleen Strip Premium Stipper KS-3.
Goop it on the stock thick and even. Don't get any on you.
Wrap your stock with aluminum foil but don't wrap so tightly that the stripper gets squeezed off the wood.
Wait patiently for an hour or two then scrape it off and repeat if necessary.
Finally give it a good wipe down with Formby's Paint and Poly Remover WASH. Make sure it's the "WASH". Walmart has it...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DeBee, thanks--I gotta ask though what's BORG for?

Thanks--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep I second that strpper works good.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the last stock I stripped which also had a thick finish like what you're describing I also used a Klean-Strip product but I used "Klean Kutter - Remover". That stuff was fantastic. You just brush it on, let it sit and soften up the old finish, then basically keep rinsing it with fresh stripper until you get it completely stripped. Once you have all of the old finish off just let it dry. It dries clean. That was the best part.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've stripped 2 BLRs using JASCO paint and epoxy stripper, available at Home Depot. It works well; follow all the cautions on the label as it WILL burn you if you aren't careful, but it easily disolves the high-gloss thick finishes.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion for Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover. It is almost as powerful as Willie Nelson's showgirl in "Electric Horseman" that he was seeking that could "suck the chrome off a bumper hitch". Now I have no idea what he was talking about, nor do I know why he would even want the chrome off his bumper hitch. I think that chrome always looks pretty good on a bumper hitch.

You also might try oven cleaner. No, not on the chrome.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys--

Chic--I think that is a definite classic analogy!--Thanks for the tip on Oven Cleaner

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I've done a couple Brownings and Remingtons with Citri-Strip. It's an orange gel and available at Walmart etc. I do the aluminum foil wrap thing also and it works great.

I've stripped some things with oven cleaner and while it works, you have to use a ton of water to neutralize it and I don't like to get my stocks that wet.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote