New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 760 Gamemaster
 Login/Join

<Youper>
posted
I bought one of these rifles today, because it is in .35 Remington, the bore is extra clean and the price was good. However, the guts are filthy, and need a good cleaning. I removed the trigger group, but can't figure out for sure how to remove the bolt. I thought I would ask before I ruin something. Does anyone know how to remove the bolt? Does the magazine disassemble for cleaning?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There is really no need to take it down any further. Go to your local auto parts house & Get yourself an aerosol can of carberator cleaner. Spray the hell out of the insides of that 760. This stuff is GOOD! It's formulated to cut through the gunk grime & varnish that gets on & in carbs. Try not to get any on the stock, especially if it happens to be wood. After your done blow out the action with air.

P.S. Sale the gun to me so i can rechamber it to .358 Win. & then you won't have to clean it!.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Youper>
posted
The wood on it is almost, but not quite as nice as the wood on my SKS. I heard that these were nearly impossible to rechamber and get the head space right.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Your right if the barrel has to be set back cause it can't be. Rechambering from 35 Rem to 358 Win. doesn't require that to be done.

------------------

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
The 760 can be rebarreled, but it is a a more involved process than a bolt action.
To remove the bolt you must first unscrew the forearm tube, there are 2 holes in the tube, insert a proper fitting rod, and unscrew the tube, everything will come out the front, and if you are lucky the timing latch and pins will stay in place, and you won't lose them. My advice is to save yourself the headache, and take it to someone who knows what he is doing.

<Youper>
posted
That's probably best since I had the tube off, and still the barrel seemed to be held in there. It will have to wait till after deer season though, which starts Thursday.

<kidcoltoutlaw>
posted
dont take the barrel off but if you do better put a wittness mark so you will know where to put it back to

------------------
keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 760 is easily disasembled as mentioned above. Just unscrew the magazine tube all the way off, it takes a lot of turning as the thread pitch is fine. The barrel has a bolt lug "stub" that is tightly screwed into the barrel, this will not come apart when the magazine tube is unscrewed as mentioned in the above post. So, you do not have to worry about witness marks as in a bolt action rifle. This "stub" has the multi lugs that the rotary bolt lugs lock into.

I had a 760 in the shop last week, it was a 35 Rem. I rechambered it to 35 Whelen. Makes a nice woods rifle.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we're talking about the 760's, maybe you can help me. I have a 760 in 30-06 that occasionally misfires. There is just a small dent in the primer, almost like the firing pin isn't coming out far enough. I posted a while back on how to take this rifle apart and when I disassembled, I found the firing pin spring missing! I thought that would correct the problem, but it has not. Has anyone seen this in this rifle? If not does anyone have any advice?

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote