Tools

Anybody know anything about this rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know anything about that specific rifle but have a little on Mr. Oberlies. There was also an article written years ago in the “Gun Report†on him.

John Oberlies: John Oberlies from Dayton, Ohio was born in 1890 and died in 1963. He worked as a cabinet maker until 1927 when he started gunsmithing full time. Oberlies did metal work as well as stockmaking. Some of his guns have a brass buttplate with his name done as a signature “John Oberlies Dayton Oâ€. Many of his stocks will have a silver arrowhead or acorn inletted in the forearm or on the pistol grip cap.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice little rifle, but way overpriced in my book. The Unertl scope is the "small game" model and goes for about $400.

I'm not sure what the Lyman sight is worth but probably in the neighborhood of $200.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seemed a little high to me as well, but not knowing anything about Mr Oberlies and his work, it is really hard to put a value on the rifle. From what you can tell by the pictures, I'd say he knew a thing or two about stock design.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote