THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What grit lapping compound to use on rings????
 Login/Join

<Lee in OH>
posted
Built myself a scope ring lapping tool and need to know what grit lapping compounds to get. Thanks in advance.

------------------
"OHHHHHHH I HATES VARMINTS!!!!" -Yosemitie Sam

visit my home page at.....

http://www.geocities.com/hogshooter_2000

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Lee,
I use Clover Brand Valve Lapping compound in the 4F grit.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee.
valve lapping compound is what is normally used, grit size depends on how much you have to take out of the rings.the other alternative is to buy 26mm rings instead of the normal 1" rings and glass bed the scopes!
worked for me.

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I usually use 220 to start and 320 to finish. Do all the cutting with the 220.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 120 grit, cuts much faster, after all these parts are not going to be rubbing each other only clamping so I see no need to go smoother.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Craftsman,

As usual the difference beteween a professional and a hobbyist shows up in how fast each does the job!

I will have to get some 120, as I've been too timid to use such an aggressive approach.

Thanks for speaking up.

Happy Easter.

Don

<1GEEJAY>
posted
I use JB Paste.However,since I started to swich all my rings to Talley,I don't have to lap my rings.
1geejay

<bens>
posted
I just lapped some rings last week. I used Wheeler Engineering 220 grit. It worked fine. If you have to take off a lot of metal the 120 sounds like it would be better...

<Sparticus>
posted
I use a scope ring reamer, I got thru Manson Precision reamers. In 15 minutes I'm done with a pair of Leupolds or Burris. Lapping takes to long. Unless you do what a friend of mine did and attached a cordless drill to his.

<Lee in OH>
posted
Well, I lapped the new Leupold super high rings for my 3-9x50 Vari-X II. I used Permatex valve grinding compound bought at a local auto parts store. Worked just fine. Time spent was about 20 minutes from beginning to clean-up. Thanks for the help fellas.

------------------
"OHHHHHHH I HATES VARMINTS!!!!" -Yosemitie Sam

visit my home page at.....

http://www.geocities.com/hogshooter_2000

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee in OH:
Well, I lapped the new Leupold super high rings for my 3-9x50 Vari-X II. I used Permatex valve grinding compound bought at a local auto parts store. Worked just fine. Time spent was about 20 minutes from beginning to clean-up. Thanks for the help fellas.

Lee,
I am wanting to lapp the rings on my new 44mag SRH. Would you please explain the procedure? Thanks-h2oman55

Posts: 19 | Location: Mineral Wells,WV. USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote