New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to determen MT for collets and centers
 Login/Join

<patclem2>
posted
I have a south bend 9+36 what is the MT for collets and tail stock also atlas MF mill. How is this determend

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Patclem2,

I don't know what the MT is for your particular machine. What I can do, is provide you a table which will give you the proper amount of taper "per inch" for the "Morse" taper. They are:

MT Taper per inch
0/ .05205
1/ .04988
2/ .04995
3/ .05019
4/ .05193
5/ .05262
6/ .05213
7/ .05200

You might be able to pour a casting of the tail stock spindle like you would a chamber cast, and then measure the amount of taper in a 1 inch section and then compare it to what I've posted. I'm afraid that's about the extent of the help I can offer...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pouring cast might be too much work...borrow an MT2, MT3 and MT4 and try to fit it in the taper slots, it's usually those sizes. Unless it's R8.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Patclem2,

Here are the dimensions taken from Machinery's Handbook. The measurements are the inside diameter of the large end of the taper. I hope this helps.

Nashcat

Morse #1 .475"
Morse #2 .700"
Morse #3 .938"
Morse #4 1.231"
Morse #5 1.748"
Morse #6 2.494"
Morse #7 3.270"

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading your inquiry I went back and checked my South Bend 9 inch. Model A. The headstock spindle is MT-3. It uses a reducer for the MT-2 center. The collet sleeve is a MT-3 outside going directly in to the spindle. It accepts type 3C collets with a 1/2 inch maximum. Hope this helps.

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Tail stock is MT-2!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<patclem2>
posted
Thanks very much for all the information you guys gave me on the MT measurements. It is such a great help to have someone to contact when I need help. I have gained so much knowledge from this forum, and it is all very much appreciated.
Thanks Clem