New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna Sporters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any websites still around with info on these guns? I've ben offered one in 30.06, haven't seen it yet but am told it has a beech-wood stock. Need to get a handle on current value in good condition.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sarco

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for exactly which models did or didn't have the beech stocks without first looking them up, but a fair number of them did....particularly sporters brought into the U.S. around 1950-51. I still have one such, a Husqvarna version of the M-98, in 9.3x62.

Many of the beech stocked ones of that era are very accurate guns indeed, quite unlike a fair number of the later rifles, which were hard to shoot well because their ill-shaped walnut stock butts/combs tended to almost tear off one's cheek bone.

The one which was more of a carbine and was advertised as the "Husky" I found particularly wretched to shoot. The Husky model had a very nice looking walnut stock, but was unmerciful in abusing me. I bought three different ones of those wretches in .30-'06 over a period of about 4 years, hoping to find one which would not abuse me. No such luck. Never kept any of the three more than a couple of months.

My last "Husky" I had just long enough for one trip to the
Regina, Saskatchewan range, then off we went to the "Saskaboosh" (Saskatoon) gun show. I traded it off together with some long cash for a nice Browning Superposed Lightning, cased, with factory orginal tubes in both 12 and 20 gauges.

As to value, to me the beech-stocked models are worth maybe $50 less than the Browning Safari-grade rifles (the ones with the "pencil" barrels) from about 10 years later.

One thing you have to be really careful about, though, is that recently some really rather junky (by comparison) Husqvarnas have been brought into the U.S. by the multiple hundred, mostly by a fellow in Arizona I've been told. I have seen multiple dozens of them at recent guns shows in the West and I wouldn't own one from those batches as a gift.

Take a good look at it before you commit, then think about what else you might get with the same money. I happen to really like Husqvarnas from the 50's, but ymmv.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Any Husky in ,30-06 is a superb rifle. If it has a steel bottom mettal, it is a 640, and if it is aluminum, it is a 1640. If the lugs are dovetail - shaped, it is a 1900. All are SUPER rifles, but since the 640 was made with a very good FN made M98 without the thumbcut, my guess it that this one will have most value in the US.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

One thing you have to be really careful about, though, is that recently some really rather junky (by comparison) Husqvarnas have been brought into the U.S. by the multiple hundred, mostly by a fellow in Arizona I've been told. I have seen multiple dozens of them at recent guns shows in the West and I wouldn't own one from those batches as a gift.

Can you tell more about this? I never saw a genuine Husquarna with lowered standards, what is this? Made were? bewildered

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
. All are SUPER rifles, but since the 640 was made with a very good FN made M98 without the thumbcut, my guess it that this one will have most value in the US.

Bent, are the FN made ones marked as such?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
All the M98's (used by Husquarna) both with and without thumbcut are FN-made. Some old ones are made on the M96 action, but those were hardly used for the ones chambered for the .30-06.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
www.simpsonltd.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought a very rough (metal triggerguard) 1640 about a year ago for $300. The stock was chewed up and the owner let me know before the sale the barrel was shot out. I only bought it for the action. I figure the rifle was worth about twice what I paid in good condition.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All the M98's (used by Husquarna) both with and without thumbcut are FN-made. Some old ones are made on the M96 action, but those were hardly used for the ones chambered for the .30-06.

Thanks Bent, but I'd still like to know if the are actually marked "Fabrique National" or "Made in Belgium"?

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are not marked "made in Belgium" nor Fab National. I have 5 fn huskys some pre '48 with thump slot.

My older 40ish m98 husky actions have the "PV and symbol" stamped below the stock line , also no stamps on the front ring. no serial on the action either, just the barrel, unless a importer stamped the serial again himself on the receiver

Early '50s m98 fn huskys have the Husqvarna stamp on the front ring with No other stamps at all.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
They are not marked "made in Belgium" nor Fab National. I have 5 fn huskys some pre '48 with thump slot.

My older 40ish m98 husky actions have the "PV and symbol" stamped below the stock line , also no stamps on the front ring. no serial on the action either, just the barrel, unless a importer stamped the serial again himself on the receiver

Early '50s m98 fn huskys have the Husqvarna stamp on the front ring with No other stamps at all.

Ditto my experience with sevral Huskies but they are easily recognizable as such but the distinctive FN bolt handle that has been carried through the Zastava line.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

Ditto my experience with sevral Huskies but they are easily recognizable as such but the distinctive FN bolt handle that has been carried through the Zastava line.

Hate to sound like a rube but is what is the difference between an FN bolt handle and other 98's?

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Can you tell more about this? I never saw a genuine Husquarna with lowered standards, what is this? Made were? bewildered

Bent- It will probably be Thursday here before I can get back to you with much detail...have some crises going on at the moment which demand my attention.

To clarify a bit though, I did not mean to imply that the "junkers" which have arrived in the past year or so were made as junk...just abused, poorly stored, etc., to where they NOW are basically junque.

My remarks about the shootability of the "Husky" model (not the Husqvarna brand, but that particular model as called when sold here in the states) has to do with the stock fit to shooters...not to quality of finish or material.

Will try to get back to you some more when I get these alligators snapping around here driven back into their ponds. It's hard to drain the swamp when everything in it is biting rabidly.........

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

Hate to sound like a rube but is what is the difference between an FN bolt handle and other 98's?

Thanks, Rob

Rob here is pictures of FN commercial bolt handle. Some of mine are more straight with out as much swept back curve, and the huskys dont have the flat on the inside of the round knob.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/975100667

I agree with Canuk, ive seen alot of old Husqvarna imports lately that have been butchered, bubba'd, personaly "customized", Drilled for scope bases wrong, holes in the side rail for side mount etc, or just plain rusted and uncared for

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that photo.

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bent-

A lot of the junky ones I have seen here recently ARE made on the 94 or 96 actions(though I would guess probably NOT by Husqvarna in their current configurations), as well as the '98s. Also, a large number have been rebarreled years ago (judging by their colouration and condition) or re-chambered. Heaven only knows when and in which shops, here or abroad, the work was done.

There appears to be a very large % of 96's which were likely originally 9.3x57 showing up in 9.3x62, and a fair number appearing in .30-06. Ditto with the '98s.

So, right now it appears as if maybe someone is trying to rip off the shooting public by trading on the splendid Husqvarna name and manufacturing history...they are taking old, excessively worn or abused rifles, and throwing together or modifying them to appear as if they were originally something they were not.

The "trick" phrase now is to call them "Guild" rifles, rather than presenting them as the scrap metal which they have become..... (They may do that because guild rifles had no exact "model" names or features required...so they don't have to explain obvious deviations from known Husqvarna models and action/cartridge combos......)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been buying things from Sarco for 10 years, and if you expect the worst, you won't be disappointed.

The last batch of Husq 22 rifles, 3 of 4 had rotten bores.

Sarco, not dishonest, just incompetent.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Any websites still around with info on these guns? I've ben offered one in 30.06, haven't seen it yet but am told it has a beech-wood stock. Need to get a handle on current value in good condition.

Thanks, Rob

Swedish Civilian & Sporting Firearms forum:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Some very knowledgeable guys over there. I just recently acquired a Husqvarna Model 46 (made in 1930) in 9.3x57.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote