Find
Notify
Tools

Herters Barreled Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the Campfire:
I know that I am dateing my self, but I need some informatin from an old f*** like me who remembers the Herter's Company. I have a Barreled Action in 3006 that I would like to identify the maker of. I am thinking of re-barreling it but it does not have any marks I can see without taking it out of the stock, which I don't want to do yet, knowing that it is locked in prety good by the bedding. Someone foregot to use enough release compond. All of this took place in the mid 60s. Does any one have an old Herters cataloge? I still have a ton of old Herters re-loading equipment , stock tools and stock finishes, and two semi inleted left hand stocks.
Help if you can.
thanks
Judge Sharpe, a poor widows son.

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like they made one rifle called a J-9 that I believe was a Yugo Mauser action.

John in Oregon

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out these Auctions to see which yours resembles:

Herters J9
Herters U9

The J9 I believe is an FN Mauser derivative (CRF). The U9 I believe is a BSA action (push-feed).

Herter's wasn't that long ago was it? Funny, I don't feel old. I remember buying everything that I could afford when they closed their stores.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
which one you got?

U9 was the BSA type action

J9 was the mauser 98. It came in std. and intermediate length. some made in w. germany and later made in yugoslavia. Loved their stock blanks, got a exibition rosewood for $30.00 way back when. I got a few catalogs it you need something looked up.
Bob

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If memory serves I think Herters had two actions. The U-9 was made by BSA and is basically a commercial 98.

If you carefully heat the metal up you should get the bedding material to release.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
Thanks for the info. I am going to look the rifle tonight, but I think it may be the BSA type. I will let you know and maybe post a picture.
Thanks again
Judge Sharpe a poor widows son

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You guys are right my memory failed. The U9 was the BSA and push feed the J9 was a 98. "Bolt Action Rifles" says there was one called XK-3. The XK-3 had a more or less flush mount bolt stop and ejector and was made in Germany. The J9 they say was made in Yugoslavia.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I miss the old Herter's. Lord knows they were full of sh*t half the time, but what a great catalog!

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge, is your rifle "Model Perfect"?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here are pct. of the Herters rifle. It appears to be a U9 with chrom bolt handle and cocking piece. There is a problem with the chamber in that it will not extract Remington brass. Everything else comes out ok but rem. gets stuck thihter than a vir. **** (a ministers hat band??)
Judge Sharpe a poor widows son

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Judge, to remove the barreled action from a bedding job that is stuck for lack of release agent, stick the whole thing in the freezer. Metal shrinks at a greater rate than wood. after a few hours it will let go with out any harm to either wood or metal.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Is there any marks on the Rem brass after you do get it out?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K