New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Hollow Knobs.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me the approximate serial numbers that Winchester used on its model 70s that had the hollow bolt knobs. Was that the last series of pre-64s or the second to the last series of pre-64s.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I don't have Rule's book in front of me but it's going to be anywhere around 200-300,xxx they started to make the changeover. That is about early 50s. If you recall, some of the first featherweights had solid bolt knobs as Winchester was using up the last of their inventory.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pre-64 70 FWT 308 ser # 218xxx (1952) has a matching bolt with solid knob. Seems I remember the year was 1952 or 1953 in Rule's book when the changeover was made.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you are saying that from 1953 on all of the knobs were hollow?

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Give or take, yes, that is what I am saying. A person could come across an occassional solid knob after 53, but by then most of the conversion had taken place. Magnum receivers tended to lag behind any changes so it wouldn't be unusual to find a later serial # with a solid bolt handle or say a national match in a standard caliber with a solid bolt handle.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paraphrasing Rule's book, page 140, the drilled bolt knob was introduced mid-1952. This coincided with the introduction of the Featherweight model. It was soon adopted on all models, but was one of the slower mods to be implemented. It did not occur on many early Featherweights.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked Rule and Glen is on the mark.

Also on page 143 it states type 3 variation 3 with the drilled knob started at 225,000 but solid knobs could be found up to 268,000.

Someone in the past pointed out to me a little known fact about prewars and factory drilling of the rear bridge. On (I think) page 248 Rule indicates that Winchester would drill and tap the rear bridge and reblue a prewar for $7.00. Just one of the many special options available back then.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote