New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spandau 1918 M98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a very nice GEW 98 with the Spandau 1918 crest. Bolt doesn't match and has bent handle but the action metal is nearly perfect and bluing is dark and unworn. The barrel has s/42K on the left side (arsenal rework year?) and a ser# that matches the action. There is a stamp on the barrel band of 7.92 which again suggests a rework. There is an ornate "H" stamped just above the crest. I purchased this rifle as an action donor for a custom sportor but don't want to butcher something of value (beyond just being a nice action.) I hasve several Mauser books coming from Midway but am too curious to wait, I guess. Finally, any heat treat problems with this action. Thanks to all for the information.
Jay

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask your question here www.gunboards.com on the military Mauser forum. Some GEW rifles were re-worked for SS and other specialized troop use early on -- the S/42 would appear to indicate this gun was refurbed for use in WW-II. Even if large parts of it are not original, the barrelled action of such a rifle, if it has certain correct stamps, could be valuable -- many people would want it to restore. Post pics here and over there if you can -- I would love to see what it looks like.

RE: the action, I love the Czechs for custom rifles. Cheap, plentiful (now), and well made.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd-
Is the GEW 98 of Czech manufacture (showing my ignorance here)? I thought it was German made. The Spandau arsenal is referred to as a Prussian one (reasonable given the 1918 data), Hess's Spandau prison (Berlin), etc. Just curious.

I really need to learn to post pics. I'll work on it.

I am curious about the heat-treat question however--I've never heard any warnings...

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Czechoslovakia did not exist until the end of 1918, following WWI. Prior to that the locale was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, whose primary arms plant was in Steyr.

The first Czech made rifles on the 98 pattern were the 98/22 and 98/29, and of course the renowned VZ/24 and VZ/33.

Basically, that means that all WWI model 98's had to made in either Germany or Steyr, Austria.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt C is correct -- all GEWs are of German origin. To complicate matters somewhat, the Germans gave parts and an assembly line to the Czechs, as part of war reparations. The first 10,000 Czech 98/22 rifles were GEW clones made with German GEW parts, right down to the Lange Vizier sight.

RE: the Czech comment, I meant that I like Czech actions, such as the 98/22 and VZ-24, for custom rifles. I personally don't see much of collector value in a beat-to-hell, scrubbed crest, counterbored, spongy stocked VZ-24. I would never use one with a crest though; those I have used were all actions-only or action-grade rifles.

GEWs are contemporaries of other German 98s like the 1909 Argentine, and 1908 Brazilian. I would use any of these actions for a round similar to the one they were designed for, as is (meaning _x57 rounds). I would think twice about using one for anything magnum or pushing very high pressures, without re-heat treating. 'Low and slow' as someone once told me, I think that is a good philosophy. I'm working my way towards a safe full of 8x57s and 7x57s, and one 9.3x62.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote