THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Fitting up M1 Carbine barrels, any "best" way to go about it?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting up M1 Carbine barrels, any "best" way to go about it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've never messed about with Carbine barreling, just general repair, as I never had much interest in the little guys, not my forte.

Parts trader friend is building one from a partially completed receiver he found somewhere and barrel blank and wondered out loud to me in an email I just fielded as to the best way to fit up a barrel to the receiver.

I reckon, turn shank...thread & shoulder a blank and fit it up, then cut the chamber and headspace the little guy just like most everything else in thread barrel into receiver land and make any other needed cuts in the barrel after that. Seems the most economical use of time and I don't see any complicating factors. He referenced timing of the machine, but since the barrel blank he has doesn't have sights on it yet or any other cuts related to a need for indexing, I can't see any indexing issues re barrel shank thread cutting and shouldering of the barrel. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
PM

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You are on track; you will need to fit/make a piston housing as well, then drill the gas port. Easiest way is to get a de-milled barrel and use the rear part and sleeve that. Much easier than milling all the contours, slide rails, and pistol housing.

Thanks

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote