New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Encore, broken firing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Somehow, the firing pin on my TC Encore was sticking out of the breech face when I opened the action, and the firing pin got bent. I had to remove the barrel to see what had actually happened. Is replacing a firing pin on the Encore a relatively quick and painless task for a gunsmith to complete? I need the gun for the shotgun deer season in NJ that runs from January into February...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, doesn't take long to do at all.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can replace it yourself no problem. I'll bet the reason it was sticking out and got broke was because the little hairspring is colapsed. This happens from dry firing without a snap cap. The firing pin over travels and over compresses the firing pin spring. I noticed on mine that the firing pin was sticking out a little and did some searching on the forums and found this out. The spring can be just stretched back out a little. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I dropped it off at the gunsmith last Saturday, but I have no idea if I will get it back in time for shotgun deer season here in NJ, which begins in January. If not, I guess I will be patterning some buckshot loads out of another gun rather than sighting in rifled slugs with my Encore...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
For future reference, Bullberry's instructions on removing the breech plug with firing pin:

http://www.bullberry.com/rimfire.html

Use at your own risk. I have swapped the centerfire/rimefire parts but if someone does it wrong do not blame me.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that is the case, then I am calling TC to see if they can send me the parts, and I'll go get my gun back from the gunsmith, because I bet he has not even looked at it yet...

One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if T/C doesn't offer to fix it for free, if you send it to them. They are very accomodating to their customers. My experience is that they are also very fast.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You could see if Mike Bellm has a new firing pin. Here is his website. You might have to e-mail him to see if he has one.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the gunsmith, and he sent it off to TC as TC told him it was still under warranty. I guess I will just have to wait for the call that the gunsmith has it back...

And I did get some 12 gauge snap caps so this will not happen again...

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC told him it was still under warranty

It will always be under warranty! T/C believes in honoring their lifetime warranty. You could have called and gotten instructions on shipping the frame back to them, yourself. I haven't had to send back an Encore, but did send in a Contender for a new hammer. Turnaround was about 3 weeks.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote