THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Comparing long term reliability of bolts and a lever?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing long term reliability of bolts and a lever?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I believe my query is more for a gunsmith rather than a lever action rifle user. Gunsmiths should have more opportunities to work on rifles about which I query than most rifle owners. Comparing [better] modern push feed bolt actions' long term reliability with circa 1950s Savage Model 99s having side lever safety and chambered for 243/308/358 cartridge family, how well does the 99 match-up? There were nearly one million Savage Model 99 rifles having side lever safeties, and just under a hundred thousand of the 243/308/358 cartridge family with such safeties. I doubt hunting rifles, as a class, are fired a thousand times during an average deer hunter's hunting career. So a sixty-year-old Savage probably is at no disadvantage in long term reliability other than it might need a barrel somewhat sooner than a newer push feed bolt gun.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My early 1950's savage is going strong.

What else do you want to know.

Are you taking total round count.

They are not varmint, target nor military rifles that have been know to shoot thousands of rounds.

It would be hard to find one that has a round count close to the 3 types mentioned.

They are not normally brought for used or carried for such purposes.

Taken care of they can provide several life times of usefulness.

The main killer of old rifles are neglect and abuse.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are trying to compare apples to tomatoes; even the 99, a strong design, would not out last a front lug bolt action. But they aren't usually fired as much over their lives either.
Other lever actions do last forever, but consider they do not shoot high pressure cartridges; up to about 40K psi you do not even need locking lugs. (Read PO Ackley)
Bolt actions typically, never wear out; we are still shooting Mausers made 100 years ago.
The 99 would not last, tightly, if fired an equal number of high pressure rounds.
I will do a torture test if someone will provide the 99, and ammo.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will do a torture test if someone will provide the 99, and ammo

A lot of us would. Big Grin

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In our shop with four gunsmiths lever gun problems outnumber bolt issues 10:1. However, we never see a Savage 99. Mostly Marlins and Winchesters.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
My uninformed opinion is the bolt gun will last much longer being subjected to the same stresses.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a area with a lot of dust. It was very bad for lever and slide action firearms over time; a combination of oil and grit. Bolt actions did better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots more moving parts in a lever gun......

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX:

Count the number of parts in modern push feed bolt actions, and Savage Model 99s made before 1960 (or Model 99-Es made until the 99 was discontinued). You may be surprised at parts numbers of several bolt actions.
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Lots more moving parts in a lever gun......

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote