Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gloves?
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know what the best glove to work on or handle a firearm wearing?I didnot like to work on a firearm with bare hands,because the oil from the skin.

Posts: 20 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Due to the heavy exposure to chemical, lead and other absorption hazards when gunsmithing, I wear Nitrile gloves. I wish I had thought about that years ago.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrile. Get'em cheap in 3-packs at Costco. Also wear knit cotton gloves over them when soldering. Old plumber's trick using a cotton gloved little finger to wipe off excess solder before it cools.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get'em cheap in 3-packs at Costco.

Get mine in a box of 50 at Kroger.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Due to the heavy exposure to chemical, lead and other absorption hazards when gunsmithing, I wear Nitrile gloves. I wish I had thought about that years ago.

Do you always wear gloves when doing metal work? Just curious.

I have become concerned with lead exposure as of late.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

Do you always wear gloves when doing metal work? Just curious.

I have become concerned with lead exposure as of late.

I try to.

Everyone who works with solvent's and lead should be concerned. The sooner the better. If a person who works on firearms day in and day out want's a good wake up call, have a doctor test your blood for lead exposure. You might consider using a fake name so if the results come back high, you won't be reported to any government agency. That would suck! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To clarify: The Costco 3-packs are 3 boxes of 100 gloves shrink wrapped as one unit.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Costco 3-packs are 3 boxes of 100 gloves shrink wrapped as one unit.

dancing Thanks for the clarification. I read it as packages of 3 Big Grin At the rate I go through them it would have taken a lot of trips to Costco. I'll get my wife to take me there on her business account. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote