New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-08 ?
 Login/Join

<RENRAF>
posted
Does anyone know of a .338 cartridge based on the 7.62 mm NATO case? I think that would be kind of neat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have the 358 win. So I guess you could do it in 338 also I am some one already has. i don't see anything gain but if that is want you want go for it.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats been done. I'll look for the data.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There was a write-up on the 338-08 in either Handloader or Rifle last spring I believe. I can`t remember who wrote it but they seemed quite pleased with the cartridge.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe this is covered in the Wolfe Publishing Wildcats book. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
This wildcat has been done and is very effective. It should be a ble to push a 200 grn bullet around 2550 and would be a great hunting round is side of 250 yds up to elk and iside of 200 yds for moose.

If you want a little more punch do a 338/284 and you would still be in a short action.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

[This message has been edited by Mike Dettorre (edited 01-02-2002).]

<Don Martin29>
posted
Ken Waters got all excited about the Nosler Ballistic Tip in that cartridge.

I can do much of the same stuff with a .308 or a .358W so...............

<Double D>
posted
I have a 338/308 Ackley Improved built on a Ruger old model 77. I built the rifle this year just play with the cartridge. I have killed a deer and an elk with it.

The deer was shot at about 80 yards running away. The bullet struck just to the right of the root of the tail. The bullet struck the ball of the leg bone in the hip and blew bone fragments out the top of the hip. The bullet continued forward through the guts, liver, right lung and came out the neck. The deer dropped in its tracks. the deer was a weighed 200lb Buck.

The elk was a cow shot downhill and broadside. The bullet passed through the top of the shoulder and hit the spine. Elk dropped on the spot.

I get groups of under 1/2 inch with this rifle using Nosler 180 gr Ballistic tips and 4064 powder. I don't have a chronograph yet, but hope to this spring. Based on drop of group from 100 to 200 to 300 yards it appears I am getting 2900 fps with the Nosler 180 Gr Ballistic tip.

I plan on developing a 200 gr Nosler Ballistic load and take this gun to Africa in July as my main gun for plains game.

What really turned me on to this cartridge was Mr. Waters article October 1995 Handloader. This cartridge according to the article out performs the 308 and 358 handily. From my hands on experience I don't doubt that one bit.

[This message has been edited by Double D (edited 01-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
We have the 358 win.

Yes. But I understand that this one has practically disappeared, and to the best of my knowledge no manufacturer makes factory rifles for it anymore. With the exception of the .35 Remington and .35 Whelen, it seems that .35 caliber rifles have not really caught on in America.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Browning still lists a 358 BLR in their catalog, the last one I have anyway. The 350 Rem Mag is available in various Model 7's from their semi-custom shop. Ruger bulds the 35 Whelen, and Winchester says you can get one from their custom shop, as will Remington. That's all I can think of in 35's, oh except for the Marlin, T/C's in 35 Remington. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<RENRAF>
posted
Thanks for all the replies! Regarding the .35 cal cartridges, thanks, but no thanks. I like .338, I have a .338 Winchester magnum, and there is quite selection of bullets out there, the .308 case is widely available and it seems that almost every widcat or commercial cartridge based on it has performed quite well.

posted Hide Post
RENRAF,

Take a look at the 338 Hawk...from the little I know, it seems to be an Improved version of the 338-06 AI! Apparently velocities exceed the 338-06 and are approaching the 338Win Mag, all out of a 30-06 case and hence a standard action.
I have a site book mark on my PC at work which i can pass along tomorrow if you want.

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry...just realised you were talking about a .338 based on a .308 case!! Should pay more attention!

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Double D>
posted
RENRAF,
Find a copy of that Ken Waters article in October 1995 Handloader.

That will tell everything you need to know about the 338/308. I sure like mine.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
RENRAF -
The 338-08 is a pretty efficient round, as all .308 based ones seem to be. RCBS and Redding stock dies for it. Nosler's 180 B-TIPs and 200 Speers worked well in the one I had. If you can't find Ken's article in Handloader, let me know and I'll see if I can find my copy.

DoubleD -
Did it seem that Ken's loads listed in that article were a little on the low side? In mine, I topped out at about 2 grains above his loads, with a fair amount more velocity than he showed and no pressure signs (don't have an Oehler 43) in my rifle.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Rifle Magazine, 1974 May/June issue has an article on the 338-08.

I think it would be outstanding with the 210 gr partition, as I recall the data had it doing 2500 fps. I think that bullet would be ideal in a 338-08, and the only bullet I'd consider using in the round.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Double D>
posted
Hey guys a better place for dies is CH4D. I just got my 338/308 dies today. Far better quality than RCBS and about even if not a little better than Redding and cheaper too. $60 plus shipping.

Here's their website.

http://www.ch4d.com/

[This message has been edited by Double D (edited 01-04-2002).]

<Double D>
posted
R-West, I just noticed your post to me. At the time I built my loads for the 338/308 all I had for bullets was the Nosler 180 Ballistic tips and 250 Sierra SPBT. These two bullets are the ones that my 338/06 AI loves and that's all I had on hand. I also had a borrowed set of 338 Winchester Short Magnum dies that I could use only for one week, since it was going to take 8 weeks to get my dies from CH4D.

I knew the 250 gr bullets were too long to fit the magazine of the Ruger 77 I had. (It was a short action 6mm Remington when I started.) So I went with the 180 grs. Years ago I had trouble with the Nosler partition bullets riveting on game.I know Nosler has fixed the problem. But still shooting Nosler partitions to me is about like eating liver. I know it's good for you, but...

I have to be out of town over the next 40 days, but when I get back I hope to pick up a chronograph. I have 2 boxes of 200 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. I will build a load.
I will look at Ken Waters loads when I do.

By the way when I called Nosler for load data they told me to just use 308 loading data and work up slowly. I did.

I like this edit function you can go back and correct your spelling and syntax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The August 2000 issue of Petersen's Rifle Shooter has an article written by Wayne van Zwoll where the .338-308 is mentioned. The article is titled: "The Big .338's Mighty Magnums."

Not too much information on the .338--308 is given but according to the author "The .338-308 is an efficient wildcat that treads on the hills of the .338-06. Lightweight bullets like this moly coated 185 Barnes X shoot flat."

A few handloads are listed for it: For example, a 200-grain Hornady bullet developing 2,670 fps at the muzzle, and about 2,600 fps at the muzzle with a 210-grain NOS. Be aware that those velocities were the result of handloads for the specific rifle in the article, and I would assume they were maximums. The details are explained in the article, including powder drop and type of powder.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It's kind of hard to believe that a regular .308 case necked to .338 can get a 200 gr bullet close to 2700 fps. I know I don't want to try that with my .358 Winchesters.

I does seem that there is a lot of interest in the .338 bore however.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Don Martin29 -
You should be able to get pretty close to 2,700 with a 200 grainer in a .358.

Check out http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/358part2.htm

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Thanks for the .358W link R-West. I will forward it to my hunting buddy who also uses the .358W.

That writer in the link must have a good lot of AA2520. The stuff I flushed had wrong data with it and made excessive pressures.

Here is some loading data:

IMR shows the max velocity with the 200 gr at 2630 fps with a compressed load of 3031. The pressure is 51,800 CUP. I have always loaded 46 grs of 3031. The two rifles that I hunt are M-99's and even with that load the cases stretch.

Hornady's #3 shows a max velocity of 2,500 fps with the best load.

The author of the link you referenced is loading to 55,000 PSI. I don't know if this is 55,000 CUP or what.

My general feeling is that when you need more power to just get a bigger case. Thats what I do when I hunt deer and black bear in the forest with a .358 Win over some ordinary cartidge. To get a lot more power I will just carry my .375 H&H.

But I am all for advances in velocity. Look at the "Light Magnums" loaded by Hornady,etc.

It's just that when a bridge is built (exclude the WTC) there is a safety factor of maybe 6 to 1. Not so with a brass cartridge cases!

Lot's of the aficiandos here have a favorite cartridges. The .358 Winchester is one of mine.

That link tries to tie the .358 Winchester on the coatails of the great .375 Holland and Holland. I don't think so.

But lets promote the .358 Win. I am all for it.