Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota m76 rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted
Please share with me information about the accuracy of Dakota m 76 rifles.

I'm looking at buying a 30-06 for my son.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nice dad. Will you adopt me, I would like one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I literally just sent mine back to the factory UPS yesterday. Having feeding problems, rifle is not consistently accurate. I've shot groups in the .2s with 160 Accubonds (7 Mag) but the rifle is not consistent. .2s one day 1.5 inches plus the next. In all fairness I will give Dakota the opportunity to make it right before I pass judgement. I'll let you know how the new management defines customer service.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worldhunter-one other thought. At the prices Dakota charges today, why not just have one of the members of the Guild build you a rifle? There are a number I have had personal contact with, bought from, and can recommend.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I have 3 custom rifles, and each one cost about three time the price of a Dakota.
But that is not were I would like to go with this question

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WORLDHUNTER1,
To answer your question, my Dakota Safari will shoot .75 inch 5 shot groups with bullets that it likes over and over. It will group ~1.25 inches (5 shot groups) with its least favorite bullets. Thats good enough for me.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Some twenty years ago, I owned a couple of Dakota rifles that were basically minute-of-foot rifles. Fundamental hunting accuracy was impossible to achieve with either one of them. That, plus the fact that I dislike the open, shotgun-type pistol grip of the Dakota stock soured me on these rifles for all time. In fairness, I'm sure the current product is much better than earlier editions.

I'd rather spend even more money on a first-rate custom rifle that's built by a riflesmith I trust, such as my friend D'Arcy Echols, whose rifles are lightyears ahead of anything the Dakota folks have ever been able to turn out. For about the same money as Dakota, you can have Roger Biesen build an excellent rifle that features a better stock design, better workmanship, and likely better accuracy as well.

For less money -- way less -- and a better rifle that really shoots, get an unaltered pre-64 Model 70 or Belgian-made Browning High-Power (Safari Grade). Either one of these is also a better option than Dakota.

That's my honest opinion........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Rifles and cars and all kinds of other neat stuff are very much individuals, just as people are. I think that a person could buy a new Model 70 Winchester Classic that has the scope mounting holes drilled crooked, tell everybody about it, and then nobody buys the next rifle off the line that had the holes drilled straight and is a tackdriver!!!!!

I have a feeling that the same goes for Dakota Rifles. Some say they are overpriced. Some say they are inaccurate. Some say the workmanship is shoddy. Some didn't like who was running the place and said the whole thing was worthless. However, the fact that they are still in business after all of these years tells me that while they may have a few lemons go through, they also have a pretty good product.

As far the aesthetics are concerned (i.e looks and feel), since this rifle is for your son, I think the best thing might be to find one someplace, put it in his hands, have him shoot it a bit, and let him make the judgment as to whether he likes it or not. Maybe have a few others handy for comparison, such as a Model 70 and one of the new Kimbers, and an older Browning Supreme, as Alan suggested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
World Hunter, I have 2 Dakota's, one 96 in 9,3x62 and a Model 10 in 7 Dakota. Both are very accurate. I've shot 3/4 inch groups at 200yds with the 9,3 with Barnes "X" bullets and the 7 Dakota shoots 1/2" or so at 100yds (3 shot groups).
The Model 96 fits me very well and the Model 10 fits me better than any other production rifle I have ever held. Some people like AD might find that they don't fit him well others will love the Model 76, fit is a personal thing.
You didn't say how old your son was, but if you haven't already done so check into their Jr. rifle program. You can buy at a very good price one of their rifles and they will upgrade the stock to fullsize later at no charge. They usually print some of the details in their mailer. If you haven't checked into it you should it would be by far the best way to by a young hunter a Dakota.
I like the Dakota's and would like to own more of them. I think that their wood is way overpriced for the quality, but as long as you're not buying the $1500 upgrades the rifles aren't to distant from some of the other upscale semi-production rifles.
If you tend towards one good rifle to hunt with the Dakota might be a good midrange choice between a Echols rifle on the high end and maybe a Kimber on the nicer lower end. If you like nice rifles and want to own several different calibers check out Kimbers.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 280 and a 416 Rigby which I love. Both shoot about 1.25" with factory ammo. I can live with that! First Stop Guns who advertises in Guns America usually has quite a few in used but near new condition at good prices. If you would consider a single shot, the model 10 is sweeeet! Your getting a lot of negatives from some of the local purists. Get the Dakota! For the money they are fine. An earlier comment cautioned about their wood upcharges. They can be very high. If buying a new one with pretty wood talk to Mark at First Stop Guns. He will go to Dakota and get you the stock you want or go and pick it out yourself. I have been told you can buy a blank elsewhere and send it to them to build your gun. If true that's the way to go.

Good luck! beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I have delt with Mark before and found him to be a great guy. Fist stop seems to have the best prices on Dakota rifles. It just seem, I am snake bit when it comes to finding a good used 3-06 in a custom or semi custom gun that shoots well, Yes I could have one built by my favorite metalsmith Mark Penrod but the Dakota would be quick and easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility: WFF Hein "Tracker".

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I have owned a lot of rifles through my shooting career. I have yet to find one that could not be made to shoot with a little work. I have seen shoddy workmanship and inaccurate rifles from several well known gunsmiths. In every instance they took the rifles back and corrected the problem(s). Dakota does exactly the same thing. They warrant all their work and guarantee 1 MOA or better. I have yet to find a Dakota which was not capable of better than 1 MOA.

If you purchase a Dakota you can be assured that it will shoot accurately and feed reliably.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Dakota M-76 rifles (330 Dakota, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby) all 3 are sub-MOA rifles. The 330 will put 225 grain Northfork bullets in the same hole until your shoulder hurts. The 416 Rigby will almost do the same with the 400 grain Barnes X bullets and the 375 H&H likes 300 grain Swift A-frames. I'm picky about my hunting loads - if I can't get <1" group at 100 yards I won't use it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Check out www.collectorsfirearms.com for a couple of looks at a real nice FN in .300 WinMAg

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have said 30-06 not 300 WinMag for that Browning Mauser action for around $1100.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote