New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley peep sight.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone using and have a picture of this setup?

I'm also curious to know what you think.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck.

I use one as a backup on my .458 Lott. I'll see if I can get a photo posted for you. It is a nice compact easy to use setup.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp scroll down

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I'm looking at the Talley peep not the Brockman.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Brockman's on three rifles and Ralf Martini is doing some custom work on my Dakota .338WM, which will have the rear Talley base modded for the Talley sight.

I MUCH prefer the Brockman, NO question and I have the Warne rear peeps as well, bought in 1993 and still not on a Mod. 70. I would just get the Brockmans and sts. Talley bases if you are thinking of your sts. rifles. I have a Classic sts. .338WM being put into a Micky which I hope to get a Brockman's for and will buy the sts. base for the front from Talley's.

BTW, the "peep" you PMed about will not fit Talley bases. You would need to go Leupy QRW bases/Burris Zee rings to use this setup, Brockman's is a LOT easier and better.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Brockman photo and description still leave questions in my mind. It appears that the scope tube itself is the mechanism that forces the peep to descend into its recess, since I can see no other method in the photo. Is this true?

I've used the Talley peep and it's a good one, all steel, but is adjustable for windage only. Elevation is achieved by using the proper-height front sight. The Talley trap-door grip cap is a handy place to store the little peep or it'll fit fine inside a trap-door buttplate. The Talley can also be used on Kimber or Warne Premier bases, at least mine could, it had enough windage to zero OK. Here's a pic of mine (in the white), it's at 5:00 kinda between the sight hood (blued) and the sub-caliber insert (in the white).

I like trap doors (G).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The aperture is spring loaded, but, obviously, with a light spring and it descends into the body of the sight when you put your scope into it's bases. It is a neat, well made item and well worth installing on a general purpose rifle to be used for working or hunting in remote areas, i.e., much of BC.

It takes a certain amount of "dicking" with and so do all other iron sight-scope combos. I have used P-64 Mod. 70s with the Leupy QR i-piece base, high rings, Lyman or Redfield receiver sight and Sourdough front for over 20 years now and this setup works VERY well.

I punch the bases/holes to 8/40, JB the base and sight everything in with my one hunting load. I have had my rifles so equipped on backpacks, horses, trucks, boats, planes and helis over all of BC and much of Alberta and never had an issue. Some may consider this "overkill" or too archaic an approach, but, I use what works in the bush, not, what some "egspurt" from suburbia thinks appropriate.

All in all, the Brockman is th best alternative I have seen so far, but, they can be a real bitch to get and are a bit pricey.

Recknagel of Germany also has "peeps" and I have some for my Brno ZG-47-9.3x62 and one for a Ruger which I cannot remember the model of. An auxiliary "peep" is a damm good thing to have if your scope goes haywire and most of my hunting rifles are so equipped.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dewey, this setup will be for a LH chrome moly Model 70 30-06. The barrel will be 22" long and it will be bedded into an Echols EDGE with Williams factory replacement bow and floor plate. I kinda want irons on this rifle with an 83 vintage new M8 "long tubed" 4X I picked up for a song. I had originally wanted to go with a NECG see thru rear sight with NECG universal front sight with a fiber optic bead. Then I decided to go with the peep I PM'd you about set up on Leupold QR bases and now I'm looking at both the Brockman and the Talley peeps.

I have a few concerns about the Brockman and left a message with them this morning. One is how sturdy it is, another is how it is retracted, does it require anything higher than their low rings, and a fourth is their base. Is it any higher than the standard Talley base requiring higher mounting or problems with the Talley front base?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Chuck, PM, i have almost the exact setup you describe. A MOD 70 30.06 wiht the BRockman and I just had s Gary at TAlley send me a Talley Peep to see how it would work. I'd be happy to talk to you about what I found but just too much to type. Pm me your number and good call times and I'd be happy to chat with you.

_BAxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I need to dig out my pair of P-64 Fwts. in .270Win. and check the heights out. I "think" the Talley leve rings on them are "lows" but am not sure. I just scored both a Brno 22H-8x57 and a FN Musketeer-.308Norma in the past two days and my two safes are bulging, so, I will try to get this done tomorrow.

PM me your number, too, as I hate typing and I will try to call this weekend and let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know many like them, but when I tried the Brockman pop-up the peep did not pop-up sufficiently to clear the base when the scope was removed. Either bad spring, grit in the mechanism or some other gremlin. I could not clean it out such that it would work consistently (which is paramount in a back up system). Maybe I gave up on the concept too easily, but I was concerned that this problem could happen in the field (especially as the peep will be used infrequently and after long periods of time with the spring "set" in the compressed state), and have abandoned this design. Stating the obvious, but if you go with the Brockman, make sure you check your peep clearance and periodically remove your scope to ensure you have a good set up before you rely on it in the field.

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a number of years my 'go-to' 'road-ready' rifle was an old M70 270. I used the integral front ramp with a tall and sturdy Sourdough blade, the original middle folding barrel sight zeroed at 50 yds, and an old Redfield folding peep attached to the Leupold QR 1-piece base and zeroed at 200 yds. This setup worked fine and was relatively foolproof; I sold the rifle to a very good friend and have been seeking a good replacement setup ever since.

I've used the Redfield folding peep with 2-piece (Mauser) bases and I don't like it with the 2-pc bases, the peep can conceivably fold down into the path of the bolt handle root and possibly hang it up. In addition, I like the idea of being able to use the wide-vee express rear barrel sight but the automatic spring-loaded deployment of the Brockman peep would prevent that.

I don't like the idea of the Brockman spring-loading, it's been my experience that springs aren't nearly as dependable as straight mechanical manual adjustment and clamping. JMOFWIW.

The detachable peeps all require some sort of storage in/on the rifle when not in use and that complicates things somewhat. I personally like and even prefer trap-doors and other unusual stock furniture but many don't. For me the addition of the trap(s) gives an opportunity to show my smithing abilities as well as giving the rifle a very special uniqueness with braggin' rights that are hard to beat.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of good points made by these two gentlemen, I have a couple of the old "Ace in the Hole" peeps made by Redfield and found that they were a bit wide to fit the rear of Leupy 1-piece QR bases, hence my use of steel receiver sights plus the Leupie mounts.

The extra 2-3 ozs. of weight here is not a problem for me, as these are .338WM P-64s in synthetic stocks and with my load of 250 NPs at 2800, one does not want them too light.

The Brockman is fine for what I am using it for, casual hunting "play" rifles and it is a neat little rig when mounted on a light Mod. 70. I do think that careful maintenance is mandatory with these, but, then, I do not "beat" or neglect any of my rifles and, so far, have had no problems.

I admire "traps" on stocks, but, my abilities at gunsmithing are not, well, I can "glassbed" well and that is about it...and I hate even doing that! I also prefer "plastic" handles on my rifles and these do not really lend themselves to traps, etc.

So, IMHO, like most gun things, it is about compromise and evolving what works best for you in your region and game. It's funny, but, I have had several scopes go TU, but, never one on a rifle I have equipped with a useable peep sight......more mysteries of the universe.

Chuck, got both PMs, will call one evening soon and see if I can help at all.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Dewey, this setup will be for a LH chrome moly Model 70 30-06. The barrel will be 22" long and it will be bedded into an Echols EDGE with Williams factory replacement bow and floor plate. I kinda want irons on this rifle with an 83 vintage new M8 "long tubed" 4X I picked up for a song. I had originally wanted to go with a NECG see thru rear sight with NECG universal front sight with a fiber optic bead. Then I decided to go with the peep I PM'd you about set up on Leupold QR bases and now I'm looking at both the Brockman and the Talley peeps.

I have a few concerns about the Brockman and left a message with them this morning. One is how sturdy it is, another is how it is retracted, does it require anything higher than their low rings, and a fourth is their base. Is it any higher than the standard Talley base requiring higher mounting or problems with the Talley front base?

Chuck,
I believe I have a setup very similar to what you are describing above. Shoot me a PM if I can help you with anything.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote