THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Iron Sights: Add on to factory barrel, or include with rebarreling?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Sights: Add on to factory barrel, or include with rebarreling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it more cost effective to fit iron sights (NECG banded front, banded express island rear) to a barrel blank than it is to attempt fitting them to a factory barrel? I've got an Interarms Mark X is 458 Win Mag that I'm considering adding iron sights to, but after looking at the prices of the hardware, and the thickness of the barrel (this is a light contour factory barrel), I'm wondering if it might not be better just to rebarrel.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon45:
Is it more cost effective to fit iron sights (NECG banded front, banded express island rear) to a barrel blank than it is to attempt fitting them to a factory barrel? I've got an Interarms Mark X is 458 Win Mag that I'm considering adding iron sights to, but after looking at the prices of the hardware, and the thickness of the barrel (this is a light contour factory barrel), I'm wondering if it might not be better just to rebarrel.

The decision is not a complicated one, if the factory barrel is up to the task then install sights on it. If it isn't, rebarrel. Regardless of which way you go, the amount of work to install the sights is the same.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'll add to westpac's already good reply by saying, if it shoots good, and the weight suits you, just add sights. There is usually enough meat in most barrels to allow the addition of sights. And, if you're really worried, have them sweated on instead of screwed on.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote