Find
Notify
Tools

Jackson Triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I suggested using a Jackson two stage trigger in another thread. In an effort not to hijack the other thread does anybody have any experience with these triggers?

I installed one in a 40X Palma Rifle. The only mod required was a slight relief of the stock forward and beneath the forward pin. It was very easy to adjust.

I will go to the range Saturday for testing and have a 600 yard match to shoot on Sunday, I am really anxious to try it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have one in my RPA 2000 Palma rifle. It is capable of being set much lighter than the Davies I had in there before. It was a long and arduous process to get it in. If you want the details, PM me. In the end, I had to make a new trigger hanger and use the Rem700 model because the Quadlock version wouldn't work. I've put 10 rounds throuh it over the weekend and will be shooting a Palma match with it this weekend.

So far, I am happy with the results. Crisp two stage trigger with one pound on the first and about eight ounces on the second stage. As long as it stays there I will be ecstatic. The Davies would go light in the middle of a match and twice released the sear when the bolt was closed last year. That cost me a match win and severly pissed me off. It was not possible to set it below 3.5 lbs with the sufficient sear enagement.

Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation! When I started in the business, we just HAD to get rid of those damn two stage triggers. I "cut my teeth" on two stage triggers and saw nothing wrong with them...but over the years, I too, have switched to the single stage.

I know the two stage units you're discussing is not the same animal, but a properly set up military two stage is an extremely safe rifle..You just CAN'T have a slam fire...well...maybe CAN'T is too strong of a word?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Shot my first match today with the Jackson trigger, 60 rounds @ 600 yards, very very pleased with the trigger, a little less happy with my shooting. If it holds up for the long term it looks to be a good trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My experience mirrors yours this weekend and I have high hopes for it's durability. I won my class in a Palma match on Sunday with my RPA2000/Jackson and beat my best score to date by four points for a 442-16x. That is a solid High-Master score and considering I got my Master card at the end of last year, I am quite pleased. I also had the highest score at 1000yds 148-5x Big Grin, bettering some HM's and Palma team members.

The trigger wasn't all of it, but it definitely helped me break shots when I needed to in very difficult, dark overcast sighting conditions.

The biggest drawback I see is the design of the trigger shoe clamping. Twice during the match, my trigger shoe started to rotate on the shaft, even after tightening the scrrew as much as I dare. This also happened to another shooter using a Rem 700. Mechanically, I think it is a marginal design because of the flat head screw. I discussed this with my gunsmith who was at the match and he suggested putting fine valve grinding compound between the shaft and shoe. I imagine rosin would also work and be less of a PITA to remove than the Loctite I was considering. Still, I plan on making a new shoe that can be brought further back (for my application, the trigger bar is too short) and will stay put.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote