New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing the barrel on a Remington 7600
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I am wondering how hard it is to replace a barrel on a Remington M7600 pump gun?

I have heard several different opinions on the feasibility of this proceedure and would like to get a better idea of whether is practical or even possible.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about the 7600 but I can't see why it would be any problem to replace the barrel. Call Rem. and ask them what the thread diameter and pitch is. Once the original barrel is off the gun it should be easy to copy the pattern. I do not know if the 7600 is similar to the 700 but the 700 is certainly easy to thread and chamber. As I say I am not familar with it , but my biggest worry would be getting the barrel off. That can be a bitch at times, quite a few times. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 7600 pumps have a barrel extension that mates into the reciever. There is a Gunsmith in Florida that rebarrels 7600's to any standard caliber that will feed through the magazine (any 308 or 30-06 family cartridge). I wish I could remember his name. The cost was a little more than $400.

Bottom line is it can be done. It is not the same as replacing a Bolt Action barrel where you screw one out and another in, headspace and go. Not many people will tackle the job. If you want a larger (bore diameter) cartridge you could always have your existing barrel rebored, rifled, and chambered. But that gets expensive too. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote