New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 BBl shanks?
 Login/Join

<ol crip>
posted
What is the BBl shank size of the Mod. 70 CRF and what is the size of the push feed? Is the CRF the same as the 98 Mauser? Will a CRF screw into a push feed, same thread? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
How ya doin' there buddy? Don't see ya on the board much these days.Still haven't built that STW we talked about but I still have the articles you sent me in my collection of gun info.As for M70 barrel shanks, I know the CRF has a 1" x 16 tpi thread, I'm quite sure the push feed is the same. I have a CRF barrel downstairs(unfired take-off 7 Rem Mag stainless) and I'm sure if you machined off the end to remove the extractor cut it would screw into a push feed.I'm sure some gunsmith will poke his head in here and straighten me out but at least we'll know for sure then.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
Rembo, thanks for the reply. I purchased a new 26" take off BBL in 300wby mag. I have a Model 70 Ranger in 270 that was like new and I have less than $200 in it. I will open the bolt face and fiddle with the extracter and might have to work on the magazine and feed rails. It is a scheme I'm thinking about. If it all works like I hope it will, I'll have less than $300 in a 300 weatherby Mod. 70. Then look for a synthetic stock and bottom metal. All in all a rather cheap project. [Wink]

How are you coming on your STW? I rechambered a 7Mag Sendero to STW. It won't shoot my favorite 140 BTs but loves anything 160gr or better. Velocity is down on the light bullets but right on with the heavier stuff. It also loves the IMR5010 powder. Groups better at 200 yds than 100yds. That is STW # 8. [Smile]

<BigBob>
posted
ol crip,
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think the Winchester standard action is long enough to accept the .300 Weatherby. Same for the magazine length. Sorry. Good luck.

<Guy>
posted
ol' crip - I converted a push feed Mod 70 in 338 Win to 340 WBY without opening the ejection port. I only installed a new mag box and follower for a 300 WBY and shortened the bolt stop. No work on the rails or action was performed. The rifle feeds and functions excellent, even ejecting live rounds with no problems. This was a very easy conversion.

I thought about changing a new Mod 70 Classic 300 Win to 300 Wby and quickly realized that it would take much more work than the push feed required. The ejection port on a Classic action NEEDS to be opened up to eject live rounds in 300 WBY because the bolt/extractor holds the round in place as the action is opened. The ejector is located in the rear of the action and does not contact the case until the bolt is almost fully opened. As the ejector applies force to the case, the case is not far enough rearward to clear the side of the action. Hence, the loaded rounds can't be removed without using your fingers. Also, I could not get the bolt/extractor to pick and feed a 300 Wby round from the Classic action by simply changing the mag box and follower. So some work by a knowledgeable gunsmith may be required there. Maybe?

The real problem I see with your idea is that the Ranger action is a push feed and the 300 Wby barrel is from a Classic action? If so, the 300 Wby barrel will have a cone faced breach and a slot milled on the side of the breach for the extractor to slide into. The barrel will need to be machined to match the barrel features found on a push feed. That will then lead to re-chambering the barrel.

There also maybe more to this than I have listed.
Good luck,

<ol crip>
posted
Thanks for all the replies. I have put together some old mausers in full lenght cases and had to modify the feed rails and the ejection ports, plus lenghten the mag boxes in both direction. I think it can be done but I won't butcher a good mod 70 if the figures don't match. Thanks again guys. [Wink]