Find
Notify
Tools

Which epoxy to use on cracked stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I am almost ready to epoxy my rifle stock together. I have a hidden screw in the wrist and two cross bolts in the usual places on my 9.3x62 Husky. I have some two part penitrating epoxy that I have used for marine repairs. It is very thin would flow well into the crack but is it an appropriate glue for this application?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Tom

Posts: 35 | Location: Half Moon Bay, California | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TomH, it sounds perfect.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try warming up the wood slightly before applying the epoxy. Helps with the penetration I'm told.

MtnHtr

[ 11-20-2003, 09:59: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Brownell's Acraglas. I use it on the kitchen chairs when the dry weather in MN causes the glue to fail, not that that is testament to the Acraglas. It will work for you.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acraglas gel, dye it to match the wood color. Clamp well, wipe off excess before it cures. Let cure 24 hours in a warm place (over 70 degrees) before pulling the clamps. Let cure 5 days before firing the rifle. Rub True Oil in the cured epoxy seam, helps to match the stock color.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer clear plain old Accruglass from Brownells over the Gel...It allows tighter closure of the break..I use surgical tubing for repairs as it keeps getting tighter as the glass is forced out....thus a crack that will not show.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. I will let you know how it goes.

Tom

Posts: 35 | Location: Half Moon Bay, California | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TomH, I noticed where you are from. Ever eat the Clam Chowder at Barbara's? I thought it was great. Happy Thanksgiving! MIke

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

No I don't. When I go to Barbara's Fish Trap, I order the fried clams, yummy! [Smile] Your part of the midwest is getting pretty cold about now. I know cause I get to spend many Thanksgivings and Xmas' with my wife's family in Topeka, though not this year.

Tom

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I used to go to a place called "Hazels" back in the early 70's, is it still around? How about the radar installation? I climbed up the cliff once to it, then walked back down the road. I don't know if they would let an 11 year old kid do that today!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TomH
Just an echo here. Acra-glas seems to be the best for the job. Just be sure to mix accurately and allow plenty of cure time.
Charlie

Posts: 39 | Location: Dayton, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With Quote