THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Sako synthetic stock a good stable one?
 Login/Join

posted
For a consistant, stable shooter, should this be upgraded to and aftermarket stock? What can be done to the factory stock to improve it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The change from McMillan exellent stocks to the plastic junk Sako put on their rifles these days was a stupid move from the finns Roll Eyes

I´ll take a wood stock any time instead of the wobbly piece of plastic you find on the 75 model!

My 0.2 thought........

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory synthetic stock is junk. You should just throw it away and get a McMillan.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by a less than reputable source that the Sako factory stocks weren't that stable. I haven't had a lick of problem out of any of the 5 that I own, and they all shoot from good to great. McMillans are even nicer if you can afford them.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ,
I am much less than reputable. Put down that piece of recycled milk jugs and go order 5 McMillan stocks right now. BTW I have a pristine SS Sako 75 in 300 Win Mag that I'm looking to trade straight across for an older AV in 300 Win Mag. I know the Sako 75 is probably better, but I have a 7 RM, 338 WM, 375 H&H, and 416 RM in the AV style and would like to complete the set.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a lightweight model a4 300 winmag in the last generation green glass stock.. let me know if you are interested..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM.
Thank you,
lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
back at you

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rambo, do yourself a favor and take the recoil pad off of one of your SAKO syn. stocks (two phillip head screws are in there). Take the barreled action out of the stock.Look in there. After you do that, call McMillan, pick your color(s), you might want to pick the Pachmyr Decelerator pad option depending on caliber, wait till you get your stock and tighten the two action screws and wow what a difference--feel, performance, look,---better!I have a load of SAKO's and with the exception of three with highly reworked wood stocks, I've restodcked them all with McMillans. Also you might check your length of pull, the SAKO factory stock is about 1" longer than some others, (such as Browning) and I have had all of my McMillans made in their standard lop which I think is about 3//4" to 1" shorter than the SAKO standard. I've got a couple in Black with white & grey marble (40% black, 30%grey, 30% white marble- I think) that are sweet! Go for your colors in the marble, I think you'll like it!

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote