delete
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
delete

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have sold them for $150-200. Bought a lot of them way back for $35. Why don't you use a 98; more room for hotter loads. Cock on opening, safety lug, etc.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought a small ring Mexican M98 would make up into an ideal lightweight 6.5 x 55.

And I believe that a surplus Swedish barrel would screw right in.

But I have not done it yet.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got a large ring mauser action with a 6.5x 55 barrel on it... think its a jc Higgins...I bought it as a project as a action and a barrel...from somebody here on AR several yrs ago.... and had tip burns fit the barrel, headspace and replace the trigger.... so basically its a new, unfired, barreled action.... has some pitting below the woodline, but itys a long action so you can set the bullets way out... may have some bottom metal, but cant guarantee it... also have a nice semi-inletted stock...it has a metal grip cap, and metal buttplate... has raised side cheekpieces if my memeory serves me....$450 shipped to your ffl.... I can do some pics to your email later in the week if you're interested... barreled action is in the "white" and will need bluing, sights, etc...its a project that I probably wont get to anytime soon... and ive got a great 96 commercial mauser in 6.5 x 55 anyway...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I used a 96 action for my .257 Roberts build. I thought it was the perfect length action as it was built around the 7x57. Ultra light pencil thin barrel 23" long, Timney trigger, cock on open, Gentry 3 position safety, I slimmed down the Husqvarna stock. With scope mounted it weighs 7 .5 pounds.
Shoots tiny groups with Sierra 117 gr bullets at 2825 fps.
I bought it as a complete rifle for 275$ and sold some parts off of it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone has a V33 on Gunbroker.
It would be good to toss the .243 barrel and use a barrel for something more appealing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great choice. I have one in 7x57 that Jim Wisner metaled. Makes into a tidy package.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote