New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 8400 problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. Took it to the range to shoot...1st shot no problem. 2nd shot I heard what I thought was a primer strike, but no ka-boom. I waited 60-90 seconds and then slowly started to lift the bolt handle. As soon as I lifted the bolt a fraction of an inch, it fired. So now I'm thinking rare hangfire. (I'm using Win. factory 180gr ballistic tip ammo.) I go to fire a third time, exact same thing. I hear what I think is the firing pin strike, no ka-boom. I lift the bolt handle the slightest bit and it fires. I looked at the firing pin and it's just a round pin. I don't think there's anything for it to hang up on. Anybody know what's happening and how to fix it. (Kimber tech support was off today.)

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you take the bolt apart and firing pin out? Maybe there is some crap(metal shaveings) inside the bolt tube and fireing pin hole.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gringo, remove your bolt and look at the front edge of the striker where it contacts the sear. There is probably a little burr on the front edge. Smooth it off flat and you'll probably have your problem solved. I had another one with the exact same problem. I noticed it while looking at the rifle so fixed it before I went to shoot it and didn't have any further problems. There isn't much clearance between the striker and the sear so they sometimes get a little burr there. After polishing the burr off make sure to work the bolt and trigger several times with different pressures on the bolt to make sure it fixed it.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken the bolt apart...no burs, shavings or anything that looks abnormal. Checked the sear...nothing looks unusual there either.

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to me with a friends gun. I had reloaded the ammo for it so the first thought was that it had something to do with my resizing. I went back and reset the die and did not have anymore problems. When I went to the gun shop and told a friend that works there what had happened we checked the other Kimbers in the shop to see if they had a similar problem. I found that I could duplicate what had happened at the range by holding the bolt handle down and pulling the trigger. You can hear the firing pin release but not fall all the way forward, then when you lift the bolt handle ever so slightly it goes the rest of the way home. Anyway he called Kimber and they had him send all the 300wsm 8400's back to the factory. We could not get any of the other wsm's to repeat the problem. I doubt that the problem would be difficult to fix but have not heard back from them as of yet. Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote