New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Boltstop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Helping my brother out with his Rugger 77 (I never have owned one).

So, he removed the bolt stop for cleaning, and now can't get it back on properly. Appears that the screw is too short to hold it on because of a piece of rod in there which acts sort of like a lock washer.

My question is this. Is there any way to reinstall the bolt stop properly without having to drive that small pin out to release tension on that lock. If not, what size drift pin is needed to take that small pin out.

Thank you.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is easy to do and hard to explain; Bring it over and I will snap it together for you. If you remove that little pin, then the spring and plunger will come out the end, making it easy to get the screw in the receiver, BUT making it real hard to get the pin back in as it is now under a lot of pressure. I don't do that.
Read this; Remove the bolt release assembly, then depress the plunger and make sure the small bushing that the screw passes through is holding the plunger in the release, then slip the screw through the bushing and depress the plunger a little more and get it to rest against the side of the screw head. Then CAREFULLY start the screw into the receiver, while pulling the bolt release assembly away from the receiver, continue to screw the release down. It should work at that point. What has happened to you is the plunger is jamming underneath the screw head and not slipping over it the way it should. The screw should be flush with the release when it is correctly assembled.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Link to Ruger schematic.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...r/ruger/rifles-ruger

It is not a lock it is the plunger assembly that applies spring pressure moving the bolt stop back in place after you release it.

Let me under stand you can not get the plunger back far enough to seat the screw.

Is the bolt stop stud bushing in place

I would mount the bolt stop in a vise push the plunger back then push the stud bushing and screw in to hold the plunger back in.

Then mount it back on the action and finish screwing the screw into the action.

What dpcd said.

The other question.

Looks to me like a 1/16th roll pin unless you have a pin punch to seat them in place they are a bugger to get started and drive into place.

Small strong springs can be a bugger to replace.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bingo! Thank you gentlemen.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote