New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum Legal LOP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to make my practice rifle (a beat old M78 Rem. in .223) shorter so that it will fit in a backback, so that I will practice more. I came up with this idea: Cut the stock right behind the comb origin (point of comb), and then use Weaver/1913 rail and clamps to lock the stock back together once afield.

But my question is this: In transport mode, with he rear of the stock detatched, could it be said that I have illegaly made a handgun out the my rifle?

A case can be made that by having a vertical, rearward-faceing surface, that it is still a rifle stock, but with a very short length of pull.

Does anyone know the rules on this?

Thank you, Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be considered as a rifle the barrel must be at least 16" long and the entire rifle must be 26" long.

At least those were the rules 3-4 years ago.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It also has to be able to be shot from the shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I don't know the FFL rules but in Colorado for hunting purposes if it is to be considered a rifle it must be fired from the shoulder, 16" barrel and 26" over all (minimums).
If you are gonna butcher the stock consider cutting it and adding hinges to swing it back in place!
(nice!)
Or this is something I've given much thought to for a takedown rifle just add large knurled heads to the screws to ease takedown and put it in your pack in two pieces.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the barrel is 22" long and the overall length will be about 34"...so good there.

Able to be shot from the shoulder: This can be argued. Shot from the should by whom? A short person or a kid? What if I say I shoot it this way with my jacket and backpack on because the thickness of the straps and my heavy coat make up the difference?

Will they make me demonstrate in a courtroom shooting the rifle?

It is amazing that the difference between jovial citizen and criminal felon is just a couple of inches of wood.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Get a M4 (semi auto)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do practice with an AR, but to remain proficient with the bolt action sporter I need to shoot a like set-up.

If I get around to it I may submit a question to the ATF, but right now I am so disgusted with Fast & Furious that I do not want anything to do with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd measure 10" back from the front of your boltface and cut the stock there. Then start cutting your barrel until it fits where you want it being sure not to go below 16" (most folks go 16.5 inches just to be sure and to allow for a crown freshen.)

You'd have an ultra compact rifle which conformed to the letter of the law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I'd measure 10" back from the front of your boltface and cut the stock there

How did you come up with the 10" figure...I think that would be right around the pistol grip area?