Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Horn Buttplate
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Question: was it common for smooth polished buffalo horn buttplates without any texturing?

Also, does anyone have any photos of tasteful texturing?

Background:
I trued up the rifle butt wood to buttplate lines tonight on a pre-war sporter. In the process I removed the buffalo horn buttplate to do some work on it.

It had original lines that ran horizontal in the middle of the buttplate - between the top and bottom screws. However, the lines were caddywumpus and not perfectly perpendicular to the sides - off quite a bit.

So I filed out the lines and then progressively sanded the buttplate up to 600 grit with oil and then used a felt pad and rottenstone on it.

I had wanted to get it redone with some new lines/checkering, but is looks incredible now - a deep polished black with the character from the horn showing as faint white highlights.

So I'm thinking not to redo it and leave as is.

However, I'm concerned about it slipping on my shoulder.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go back to the "Scholarship Rifle" thread, there's a series of photos of Duane checkering the horn buttplate.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
If you go back to the "Scholarship Rifle" thread, there's a series of photos of Duane checkering the horn buttplate.

tu2
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks - that's really nice. It still obscures the beauty of the buffalo horn, but the pattern is nice and very functional.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to look a bit and see if I have a picture of the horn butt plate on my older Honold Mauser from the late 30's. It has almost a weave pattern cut into it. Works well and is attractive.

I was angry with myself, I scuffed part of the butt plate after holding the rifle for a few hours butt resting on the ground. I'll try and see if I cannot touch it up a bit using part of your method.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A little late to the game but I saved these two pics a long time ago. Jeff's Outfitters sells horn buttplate blanks for $30.

I think the horn grip cap is one of the nicer treatments I've ever seen.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice!