Find
Notify
Tools

Suggested alternative to claw mounts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a Mauser banner action and was wondering what scope mounting options there are for the barrel besides claw mount?

Does ERA make a barrel sweat on saddle? Suppose a custom one could be made if not for their rings?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no idea what "barrel sweat on saddle" is, but there are maybe hundreds of mounts or possibilities for Mausers.

Here people use pivot mounts mostly.

Cheap: Kozap, about 100 USD + few for rings.

Good one (200 to 500 USD):

Era/Recknagel: https://www.recknagel.de/pdfvi...-Hauptkatalog-11.pdf

EAW, MAK maybe

A lot of possibilities as I wrote. Single piece, two piece, with weaver rail . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what he means; he wants to leave the Banner on the bridge intact and visible, and solder a base (sweat on saddle) onto the barrel and bridge for the scope mounts.
Look at NECG pages; they have Recknagel mounts.
Also, any machinist can make a base for the barrel, soldered on, to accept any type of rings. Problem is, it will be so far forward that it won't engage the scope tube; which is why most of them you see have the ring around the scope bell. Use a straight tube scope in that case....
Point is, he doesn't want anything on the receiver ring.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks - i was looking thru the Recknagel catalog last night - lots of claw options, didn't see an ERA option, but claw would be fine.

Thanks!!!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On some guns Ive used a std. Talley rear and a Stith tube to the rear sight slot or some type of similar set up.
However on a Banner or any other Mauser I personally would just drill and tap or solder the bases on one of my guns and if a full custom I would surface grind the action..

If one wants to salvage the Banner emblem then he needs to keep the gun original over all IMO..

Claw mounts are the best and the most expensive

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE son't know the scope you plan to use, but RExknael makes about every size imaginable for a bell mounted ring Works well co;mbned with a baerrel mounbted base.

They alo make blank frnt insert for a swing mount ...could be an option

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another alternative would be a side mount like the Griffin & Howe Side Mount.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Howsomever, knowing he wants to keep the MAUSER intact, I assume he also wants to retain as visible, the side markings of either STANDARD MODELL, or WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good point.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
WE son't know the scope you plan to use, but RExknael makes about every size imaginable for a bell mounted ring Works well co;mbned with a baerrel mounbted base.

Swaro 3-9x36

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Someone, somewhere may still have an O'Neil-Hopkins mount like Elmer Keith had on his 333 OKH. With this one you wouldn't even need to alter the bolt handle Smiler

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holland and Holland style are a available in England.

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Holland and Holland style are a available in England.

They will probably cost him more than the rifle.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi JFE. Not from H&H but they do require some work.

I enquired for some H&H fitted ones for my double 375 Flanged Mag. Suffice to say I haven't gone that way!

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Clarke Engineering

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/ian-clarke

He has his own website too.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

Swaro 3-9x36

Well, changed to a Z3 3.5-10x42. Cabelas has them for $799 and had a 10% of sale yesterday on everything if you are a club member (credit card). So bam, 10% and used my points to buy.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I recently decided to have a rifle built on a pristine BRNO made Persian Mauser action that I have. The crest on the Persian action is simply too impressive to drill, tap and cover with bases. I decided to go with an EAW side mount from NECG. Admittedly the decision was easier for me than in your case since the left side of the action that is covered up by the scope mount is all in Farsi. But I share your view that some crests and banners are just too nice to deface or cover up.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a different approach, If Im going to build a "custom rifle", Im going to surface grind the action, add a new bolt handle, bolt release, new bottom metal, new stock of custom wood..Why then would it require or want to keep the banner emblem, and mess up the gun with a set of less than perfect mounting system, and it would have no collectability at that point anyway and probably fetch $6500..That said something is to be said about keeping such a Mauser in original collector condition in the first place would it not. Just my take on the subject, and will leave it at too each his own. 2020

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote