THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need ideas preping pattern for duplicating.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend sent me a maple stock which he plans to use for a pattern for CZ 527. He plans to cut several, if that helps.
My friend would like the stocks to be
a drop in, or close.
The duplicator wants the stock bedded so his stylus doesn't tear up the inletting.
When the stock comes out of the machine, I want it ready to install pillars and bed.
Would a thin coat of acraglass painted on the inletting protect the wood and make the stylus run smooth.
I am not going to bed the barreled action as that defeats the purpose of drop in and ready for bedding. Thanks Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, you are not going to get a true "drop-in". Most inlets have sharp, square corners and they can't be cut with a round rotating cutter.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like jim says - you're either going to have to do a bit of hand fitting, or over cut and glass bed

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Jim says what it is. There is no free lunch with a duplicator, you still gotta do the fine inletting and detail stockwork.

I bed my patterns with a good hard epoxy. Gives a smooth surface for the tracer and the pattern lasts a long time.

Don't swear off bedding the barrel channel for the final build: Important as a stable sealer for the wood interior.

For the internal work I have tracers larger than the cutters, to leave wood for final inletting. I can get close with the duplicator, but there is still hand work.

A pattern stock being bedded. Wood is hard maple, makes good patterns. After bedding is complete, the stock is sanded and painted with a hard epoxy for a good tracing surface.

And a duplicator needs lots of cutters and tracers. Some of the tracers are teflon tipped.

When a stock comes off the duplicator it goes in the sanding cradle for the hand work:

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My friend would like the stocks to be
a drop in, or close

Your duplicator is better than mine. Only way I could do it would be with a sloppy fit and then fill the void as you glassed it in.

Like woodhunter I use a guide that is larger in dia than my cutter when I do the inletting. Good hard Myrtle makes a good pattern as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just wanting to know if anyone had tried
just brushing epoxie on the bottom of the inletting and also would it need to be brushed
on the sides of the inletting as well.
I built my duplicator only to do stocks for my CZ 527s.
I have a factory stock with several square corners and other problem unseen areas removed
in the inletting I use for a pattern to cut the inletting.
I have the means to move the stocks any direction, up down or sideways on either end to line them up for inletting.
I put my friends maple stock in my machine with my inletting stock and cut the inletting with a 3/8" and 1/4" flat bottom cutters and stylus the same size.
I took it out of the machine and a little cut on each side, the barreled action was in.
It fits as well as the factory stocks.
Bear in mind we are talking about stocks that sell for less than $200 including the blank.
When I bed a CZ 527 I bed around the pillar in the back and the action and recoil lug ahead of the stock.
I don't want it touching anywhere else.
You might ask why I don't cut the stocks for my friend.
My health is not good and I am not promising anything. Besides, it takes me too long and I don't want a job. Kenny