Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Pre-64 replacement stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
I have aquired a 1959 458 winchester action. What would be the best way foward to find a stock for this?

I doubt there are any super grade originals hanging around. I also have a post-64 safari express stock but I think the pre-64 action would require to much work.

Anybody been down this road...any help would be appreciated.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trying to find a supergrade pre-64 stock is going to be difficult to impossible and very expensive if you do.
I also acquired a new pre-64 action set up for the 458 win a few years ago and had Shilen fit a barrel to it and had Serengeti stock it with a laminate 3X walnut stock which I really like.
I'm sure a stockmaker like Treebone would have a pattern for a pre-64 that he duplicate into a stock for you.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this won't be a double reply, first one didn't seem to post.
Try Treebone, he probably has a pre-64 pattern he could duplicate into a stock for you.
Someone, maybe made a duplicate rear sight for the pre-64 .458 with the wheel adjustment.
I had the same find as you a few years ago and had Shilen rebarrel it, Serengetti put a laminate stock and New England express sights on it and I really like it.
Good luck

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for an original wood stock, good luck. However, there are a bunch of original stocks for the standard and featherweight actions that could be opened up in the barrel channel that would work quite well.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Thanks srt and Jim. I came across Great American Gunstocks,they say they have over a 1000 patterns,so they should have what I want.

BTW I like the pre-64 high comb pattern which is what I beleive came originaly on the Super grade african 458.

I found a original super grade stock,quite spendy. The stock is in good shape but the wood grain is not as good as I would like.

This gun will never be original so I will see if Great American has a nice piece of walnut and go from there.

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go with that Great American, be prepared to do a lot of work and a lot of filling in the action area. I wouldn't do it myself.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Super Grade ORIGINAL on EBay awhile back. I`ll try and find it for you. It wasn`t too bad a price at 300.00 or so by todays standards.If you`re in a hurry--You can go to EBay, type in gun parts and when that comes up try "rifle stocks" and then Winchester.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original 458s were all SGs and almost all of them eventually split their stocks if not reinforced. A normal SG stock will not last long in this app.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If you go with that Great American, be prepared to do a lot of work and a lot of filling in the action area. I wouldn't do it myself.

Thanks for the heads up on GA. I have a real nice turkish blank that I have for a mauser project, but I'm thinking bastogne.

What I might do is look for a pre-64 stock on one of the auction sites to use as a pattern.

Anyway "srt" gave a reccomend for treebone. Is there any others that would have a high comg pre-64 pattern handy and do good work on turning a stock?

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If not in too big a hurry, and you are in Reno, wait 'til the end of January and go to the ACGG expo. There is a bunch of guys there that do copies and have dozens of patterns already.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437